Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

AHHHH!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM
  • 7 Replies

This is going on the 2nd week in a row that my son is being completely obnoxious and a complete BRAT! While my daughter begins schooling, he is playing in his chair, playing with his pencil, staring at his spelling, talking out, up and down, back talking, yelling at me, completely distracted. Says he is too tired. Right...gave him the opportunity to take take a nap, wouldn't do it. Then he comes back to his desk, still acting the SAME way as before. This is marking day #6 of this behavior....I literally am loosing my mind. 

My daughter has worked through his distractions. I feel sorry for her because she is working extra hard to focus. 

* I even moved his desk right next to me. I always sit with them while they are working, so I am not sure what is going on.

Any advice???    I NEED ANY ADVICE YOU MAY HAVE.

My son is 11...daughter is 9.

by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
crystalhend
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Seems bored try a change in learning. Maybe educational board games or a unit study on something he likes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:27 PM

how old is he?

swim-mom72
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Try doing school without the desk. Maybe he feels restricted. I have one son like this. So, both my kids have the option to school anywhere, as long as they are productive and do not disrupt their sibling. So, my guys school outside on the patio, on the trampoline, floor, kitchen table, their bed...you get the picture.

Something else that has worked is short blocks of time for doing work. 15-20 min of work=5 min of wiggle time. Also, letting my younger son have thinking putty, or something similar, to squeeze in one hand while doing some of his work, like reading, studying or geography.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Hm, depending on his age, I would use an timer. Tell him, no TV (or other special thing) unless he gets 5 stars. Each say 15 minutes of work, gets a star. I wouldn't make it too hard to earn at first but just enough to make him focus. Don't back down, if he doesn't get the required stars, he doesn't get a 'reward' or privilege. It gives him the power, but you don't have to be a meanie. If he doesn't do his stuff, just shrug and say, "Too bad, so sad. You'll have to play in your room while we do 'X'. Next time, do your work." Some kids can be stubborn (my son) and it might take a few days of not getting the required number, but it'll work. 8)

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I agree with most of the other comments.  My children are now grown, but I still home tutor, give home school workshops, and workshops for teachers at local colleges.  It sounds like your method of teaching is just fine for your daughter, but not for your son. 

More than likely he is a hands on learner, but could also be a rational child:

If the above video describes him, learn more about the hands on learner at this link

If the above video describes your rational child, learn more here

Your little girl is likely one of the following two personalities:

Learn more about the Guardian child here

Learn more about the Intuitive feeling child (also known as the idealist) at this link

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I think changing how he study's, could be a way you might want to go.   It does sound as if he is bored. One of the symptoms of boredom is tiredness.  Does he like animals?  If he does, have him look up his favorite animal.  If not animals, then something else that can hold his interest. I would also do shorter periods of time as has been already suggested.  You might want to try some of those activity books from walmart or other stores that would have them and see hif he does any better with that for awhile and then go back to his normal schedual to see if he has grown in his ability to focus more.  :)    Good luck in whatever you decide to go with.

melissaDH
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

He is 11. She is 9.

Quoting oredeb:

how old is he?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN