Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kind of a bind what to do... : UPDATE IN RED....

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM
  • 6 Replies

Well I am a full time college student going to become a teacher ( even though I am really starting to dislike public schools). I am starting to homeschool my son next aug and also have 1 on campus class ( been doing online). I will have to start taking all my classes on campus because thats reguired at a certin point. My sons education means alot to me,but i do not want to give up so close to getting my degree and I have loans so when I stop going I have to pay them (cant afford that right this minute). I was tossing around the tought of maybe getting a baby sitter and leaving the work that can be done independent with him (my class is 8am- 1105am 2 days a week). I was even thinking of bringing him and having him sit in the class like I seen some people do with their kids but I dont want to be rude to everyone else. Hes Turning 9 and I cant leave him home alone. ughhhh  What are some suggestions?

Update:  well i messed with my classes and found another one online that is not required but cant help in life so I signed up for it for fall. I figured I wanted to  focus more on homschool in Aug and then will cross the bridge of taking course on campus when my son gets in higher grades and I can leave him home or he can sit in the class and behave. I also found a co-op that seems it will work for us. Crossing my fingers...

by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
4quivers
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I'm not one for baby-sitters.  That's why I homeschool, I don't want other people in charge of my kids.  Do you know any real life people that could help give him a rounded education?  My 8 yo volunteers at the vet.  He's not old enough to be left alone there yet, but one day will.  My 9 yr old volunteers at the library.  I know the librarian very well and have no problem leaving him there for an hour while I run errands. (I've never needed any longer and don't want to be a bother)  Taking him to class would be awesome!  A homeschooled kid in a class for public school teachers!!! 

I'd look at the folks you know first before hiring a babysitter.  He could learn a lot just from hanging out with someone else, whom you trust, to explore the world through another persons eyes! 

If it's possible!  I also know sometimes that's not possible. 

oredeb
by debbie on Apr. 10, 2012 at 10:38 AM

i like both your ideas melissa, sounds like they'd work

its not like hes with the babysitter the whole day or all week, and it you feel very comfortable w/ babysitter go for it!

even bringing him , would he sit there and do his work or read ?

hey maybe theres other moms in your situation ? maybe theres some kinda group on campus?

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Oh gosh, you can totally do 3 hours twice a week! Just find someone you trust to watch him, or even the taking Him with you (as long as you feel he wouldn't be a bother) is a fantastic idea. 3 hours MIT be long for him to sit there, but if he had an iPad with headphones or he could bring independent work to do, I think it would be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I think all the ideas are good ones & I would try all of them to find the one that works best!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I think either would wok well. I used to go to my mom's classes during the summer.

PandoraRobin
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Using a babysitter isn't a bad idea as long as it is someone you trust. Be sure they understand though that if you leave work for your son to do that it needs to be done. I had a problem with a sitter once when I left work for my son to do and she let him watch TV instead. If you decide to take him to class with you an iPad is a great idea. There are lots of education apps for that. Most campuses also have wifi so if you have a laptop you don't mind your son using maybe he could play on one of the many educational websites. I hope you work things out. Congratulations on being so close to your degree.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)