Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What time do you usually start school for the day? (poll)

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM
  • 18 Replies

Poll

Question: When do start to "do school" for the day?

Options:

6-9 am

9am-noon

noon-3pm

3-6pm

6-9pm

9-midnight

after midnight

never/always: we purely unschool

we do not homeschool/kids are not in school yet

other, because there is always an "other"

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 52

View Results

My first grader is a major nightowl.  All day, if we try to do schoolwork, he gets frustrated, has trouble processing, and doesn't comprehend a lot of what we are doing.  If we sit down around midnight, he gets it right off and can whip through his work "easy as cake" (he actually said that tonight about one of his pages on a subject he's particularly been struggling with!).  We just now got done with his math for the day at 1:30 in the morning.  Is there anyone else that runs an almost entirely nocturnal homeschool?

Oh, and because I'm pretty sure someone will ask, no, he is not faking his comprehension troubles during the day and, yes, he gets plenty of sleep.

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 10, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Hmmm... My only quetion is why is he up so late? If you got him on a set schedule, so that he is more rested in the daytime, I bet the issues would turn around.

that said, my Ds2 has sleep issues. he has ADHD and many nights he has difficulty sleeping. He works best when i let him wake up and get him to work within about 1 hour of getting up. when he's most refreshed. if I wait until later i nthe afternnon to introduce a topic, I can guarantee it wil lgo right over his headd.

littleacorn
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 1:54 AM
He seems to be like me in that his schedule naturally shifts to later times. Even during the short time he was in school, he would be groggy as heck until some point in the afternoon and didn't really wake up mentally until much, much later. It works for our family *shrugs* Like I said, he gets plenty of sleep, just not when most kids his age would be sleeping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleacorn
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 5:50 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mellissa1990
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

My children do better if they sleep until about 10:00 in the morning.  We usually get started about 12:00.  My six year old DD is a terrific reader and reads to the younger children for a few minutes while I get dressed for the day.  We usually go somewhere during the day, and I like to be completely dressed with hair and make up done before we start.  I want the house picked up so I can devote the rest of the day to their work.  I'm pregnant and have had morning sickness with this baby so this gives me some time to get over the nausea.

oredeb
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

hi littleacorn, i know a few other people that school at night like you do, the kids excel!

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

We unschool so learning happens all day everyday! We do have a very odd schedule though we don't wake up until 10AM or later (some of the kids sleep until almost noon) & bed time is Midnight! There is nothing wrong with running your schedule to what works for you & your family!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM

We are up early but don't start school until the afternoon so the younger two will be napping.

PandoraRobin
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Our start time varies from day to day depending on what we are doing that day. I have two disabled children with a variety of doctor's appointments and therapists it is hard to stick to a set schedule. As for children working in the late evening my son prefers to do his work after his brothers go to bed. It is not always easy for me if I've had a long day but he is less resistant and quicker at getting things done. He also seems to sleep better if he works at night. My mother said I was the same way.

ccglory
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Wow, I find that fasinating that he works better at night. All the more to do everything in the day without a hassel. I have thought about doing that but I just had a baby so home schooling schedule varys now.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I say that whatever works. If he is getting enough sleep and he is exceling in his work, then go ahead and do it.  That is what makes home schooling work so well. It has the best flexible schedule ever. You do what..when..if..how you need that is best suitable for you working needs.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN