Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What time do you usually start school for the day? (poll)

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: When do start to "do school" for the day?

Options:

6-9 am

9am-noon

noon-3pm

3-6pm

6-9pm

9-midnight

after midnight

never/always: we purely unschool

we do not homeschool/kids are not in school yet

other, because there is always an "other"

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 52

View Results

My first grader is a major nightowl.  All day, if we try to do schoolwork, he gets frustrated, has trouble processing, and doesn't comprehend a lot of what we are doing.  If we sit down around midnight, he gets it right off and can whip through his work "easy as cake" (he actually said that tonight about one of his pages on a subject he's particularly been struggling with!).  We just now got done with his math for the day at 1:30 in the morning.  Is there anyone else that runs an almost entirely nocturnal homeschool?

Oh, and because I'm pretty sure someone will ask, no, he is not faking his comprehension troubles during the day and, yes, he gets plenty of sleep.

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM
Replies (11-18):
judahsmommy80
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM
I don't have as set time to start school...I aim to start when my 7 month old DS takes his morning nap...however it doesn't always work like that. But my DD works best before noonish...she's in "kindergarten" and still learning how to keep focused. So somedays if we can't start before then its just better to bag it. One day we started at 4 and it was like talking to a wall...lol! So I just set her up on the computer : ) I'm a night owl and would love to do homeschool at night...if DS were older...lol! Glad you've found a good fit for y'all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvinhs
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I chose the "other" option on the poll because, while our routine is the same, the times we start and finish each day are worked around whatever we are doing that particular day, and our start time can be anywhwere from 9am to 2pm.   In the past, when my husband worked 4pm to midnight, we often started school around 6pm.

My kids are night owls too, probably because of the fact that my dh worked odd hours when they were smaller.  This week, we are working into new times for school, because my dh has a new job and his hours are different.  I try to have school finished by the time dh gets home from work so that his time at home can be family time.  So, for now, that means starting school early enough to finish by 2pm. It's an adjustment, but so far it's going well.  Dh was working two jobs until just recently, now works only one, and we are loving having him home more.

Kerseygeek
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
My only concern is that once they reach college they will most likely be forced into a morning or afternoon schedule because that's when classes are. But if he's young he has time to shift his schedule as he gets older. Personally this wouldn't work for me. I like evenings for relaxing & alone time with hubby. Plus the evening is my least productive time of day, I'd be useless.
melissaDH
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

We begin around 8:30-9am and will will usually be finished with all reading, math, and book assignments by noon. The afternoon is left for nature walks, library trips, field trips, etc.

littleacorn
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:06 PM
Then again, by the time he is in college, there probably will be even more online classes and programs than right now. Even now, my husband goes to school online and does quite a bit of his schoolwork in the middle of the night as well!

Quoting Kerseygeek:

My only concern is that once they reach college they will most likely be forced into a morning or afternoon schedule because that's when classes are. But if he's young he has time to shift his schedule as he gets older. Personally this wouldn't work for me. I like evenings for relaxing & alone time with hubby. Plus the evening is my least productive time of day, I'd be useless.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM

It is true some people are natural night owls. I am one. I have one son who is one. My other 3 children were up at 6am and in bed by 7-8pm as babies, but he would stay up until 10-11pm, no matter what I did (including putting him in bed and letting him cry). He is college age now, and yep, he still likes to stay up until 2am. As a matter of fact, I am  usually still up, now that I no longer have to get up to go to work outside the home. We usually chat online at the time. :)

My dd is the only one I homeschool. Since birth, I have encouraged her to be more on my schedule, which is probably NOT her natural bent. She goes to bed at 11pm and usually gets up by 9am, fixes her own breakfast, then does the schoolwork I've put  out for her to do on her own. By noon I am ready to do the subjects that we do together, make corrections on the workbooks (math, Greek, and handwriting), read alouds, discussions, etc. On days I get up by 10am, I do some chores while she is doing her individual work. When she was younger, starting at noon was perfect for both of us and was plenty of time to get it finished.

One day a week, she has an art lesson at a co-op at 9:30am. That about kills me. LOL

bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Most days we start around 8 a.m., if we start too late in the day my son doesn't work as well.

AlyBren
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I've always done better at night too. All through university, I would try to get courses either really early in the morning, so I could get it done and sleep the rest of the day, thus being up late at night, or late at night when I was at my best. I worked in the wee hours of the morning, slept during the day whenever I could.

DD is the same way and I'm firmly against trying to force her onto a "normal" schedule when we don't have to. We're unschooling, and I'll be leaving my job at the end of the semester, so I'll be better able to accomodate both our natural rhythms. DF is a huge nightowl too, he'll be leaving his current job as well to work from home, so we'll all be able to sleep when our bodies naturally want to, work when we're at our best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN