Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grade level?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM
  • 21 Replies
Quick question...who follows grade levels? We started our new school year last month, and all of my son's curriculum was 6th grade level. We learned really quickly that it was just a review of 5th! He was bored out of his mind, so I pulled out the 7th grade curriculum my daughter used a couple of years ago (for about two months. She skipped to 8th after that). He loves it, and he's doing great, so I guess he's now technically a 7th grader. Has anybody else noticed that middle school seems to be just a review of elementary? Do you think that grade levels have been so engrained in our society that we think we have to school our children for 14 years (including PK and K)? I guess I'm just nervous because my daughter will finish high school at 15.

Mom of Laura-my 13 going on 30 angel, and 11 year old Nathan, the happiest kid in the world who happens to have Asperger's.

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't believe in following grade level, it is so unrealistic to think that we all learn all the same things at the same age & pace!

5BMom
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I have the kids tell people the grade the would be in at PS. Keeps it easier!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:13 AM
We use a charter school so my kids are technically in a specific grade. However, the majority of curriculum I use isn't grade specific. We do just have them say theygrrade they are registered in to keep it simple.

My 8th grader is the only one that uses the "box set" and is all 8th grade.

DS2 is in 6th, but his work is anywhere from 3rd - 7th depending on topic.

DD is 3rd grade ...her grammar and language arts are 5th grade, her science kids are "2nd - 6th grade" and we definitely go into a 6th grade level detail.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmomof10
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:49 AM
3 moms liked this

Think about the behavior problems that public schools have in middle school and you will quickly realize why MS is mostly review. You will also find a lot of review in HS.  Use middle school to teach what interests them, being a Christian we spent more time on Biblical character training, add extra stuff like foreign lang (Rosetta stone). When you get to HS they can pick up courses at community college, but you can still keep their "grade level" the same to identify by.  They can transition into college when they are mature enough not just smart enough.

oredeb
by debbie on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this

hi carol, we dont use grade level, never have

seems to me they add a bit more in each grade level, so why not just skip to the next grade!hahaha

swim-mom72
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM
4 moms liked this

My oldest is pretty advanced in all subjects and maturity wise. My youngest is right on target for most subjects, except he excels in history and science, but is on the immature side.

So, with our oldest we call him what grade he would be in if he were in ps. However, none of his classes are what he would be taking if he were a 9th grader, they are all 10th & 11th grade materials. We will continue to function this way and start to replace the high-school classes with online college classes until he transitions to full college courses. In our home, we are in no kind of hurry to let him go off to college early. It is not a race. We know how smart he is, and are very proud of him. But none of that could prepare him for the RW. Could he succeed if we put him in full online college next year at 15, yes, but why? What would he gain from that? There is no rush, none. He will still be smart at 17 or 18, but may be more mentally and spiritually equipped to deal with all of the temptations and stresses that face him in the RW.

Along with our responsibility to educate our children comes the responsibilty to protect them. Protecting him and continuing to educate him a couple of more years is not a bad thing. But, allowing him to go into the world at a very young and vulnerable age could end up being a bad thing, in many ways. There is no hurry. This is not a race.

doriselm
by Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:46 AM

How do you like Rosetta Stone? Is it really as easy as they say it is. I heard not as easy for kids, but I guess it keeps track of their progress. It is expensive so kind of scared to get it if it is more for adults. Have a soon to be 2nd and 9th grader. Thanks, Doris

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this
This. She is 6, and is first grade. People just like to ask "what grade are you in?". I don't want her to have to say "well, I'm first grade math, third grade reading and writing..." etc. so we just simplify and say "first".

Quoting 5BMom:

I have the kids tell people the grade the would be in at PS. Keeps it easier!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wildmama3
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

It's easier for us to just keep it simple when someone asks what grade my son is in to  respond with the grade he would be in if he were still in public school.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Quoting wildmama3:

It's easier for us to just keep it simple when someone asks what grade my son is in to  respond with the grade he would be in if he were still in public school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)