Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How is homeschooling going for you?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM
  • 18 Replies

how are you doing? any problems? need some help?

any thing that would help other moms/kids?

any praises?

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Thank you for asking :)

I took last week off. I am really burned out and I think my girls are also.

Also we started the school year with The Connection Academy. That was a huge mistake I pulled them after 8 weeks. They wanted nothing to do with the work that they got from them. So I tossed it.I went and bought workbooks and things from a book store tell I could order the stuff they like. While I just receivedit. So now I feel we are really behind. The math I ordered they are complaining that it is so easy but I need to make sure that they know all of it before I move them on. I want to school them year around also. So I thought 4 weeks on 1 week off for my sanity. But I have nagging feeling they are behind I am their teacher and I am going to ruin their lives !!!!

Help I need major help here.

I am Jill and I am officially loosing my mind !!!

Did I mention that this is totally stressing me and I have had a stiff neck for 4 days.

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM

This year has sucked to be honest. Between my migraines and my oldest son now getting migraines, as well as other roadblocks being thrown in our way, I'm ready to throw in the towel. On average, we usually have at least 2 days a week that "formal" schoolwork doesn't get done. It has been very frustrating and discouraging to say the least. Everyone keeps telling me not to worry, that the kids are still learning, I think deep down I know that, but it is hard to see the big picture when every day is difficult.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM
We are trucking along! We are done with science, spelling and handwriting (although I will still be doing real life things with them for these). I'm focusing on math right now, wanting to get that completed before baby comes.

I just need confidence and time. I always feel what I am doing isn't "enough". We slacked on history this year because she just wasn't following, it was boring both of us, and I was getting frustrated trying to get different ways of teaching it. After every lesson she is supposed to tell me in her words what went on in the story - she can rarely ever say anything about it, and it's usually incorrect.

We slacked on music and art also. :( or, I suppose it depends on what you consider acceptable. My kids can sing every song to the Alvin and the chipmunks cd, make up their own songs, sing in front of me and their dad as a "show" and regularly have marching band parades around the house. Lol! It isn't motzart, but hey! We do listen to classical regularly at home and in the car, and they enjoy it.

As far as art goes, we do little projects and draw/paint/color often, but aren't doing formal lessons and talking about artists like I had hoped. My friend just gave us guest passes to the local art museum though and we can't wait!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM

It's going better than other years.  We are 7 weeks away from finishing our curriculum for this year.  It's getting harder to focus as the weather gets nicer, but we'll make it.

oredeb
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

jill theres no way you could be ruining there life, you are in charge of there homeschooling, how are they behind? compared to what? you dont have to compare what they are doing to anything, you dont need to follow the public school way of doing things(if you are) you choose to school them the way you want, how long, what days etc! how old are the kids?

thats good since the academy thing didnt work your moving on, chalk it up to experience! now you can tell someone else how it wasnt working for you, good.

are you having some fun teaching the girls? playing games, reading to them, doing arts and crafts, just some fun stuff?  you dont need a big curriuculum package to teach them! 

debbie

Quoting bugayfamilyof4:

Thank you for asking :)

I took last week off. I am really burned out and I think my girls are also.

Also we started the school year with The Connection Academy. That was a huge mistake I pulled them after 8 weeks. They wanted nothing to do with the work that they got from them. So I tossed it.I went and bought workbooks and things from a book store tell I could order the stuff they like. While I just receivedit. So now I feel we are really behind. The math I ordered they are complaining that it is so easy but I need to make sure that they know all of it before I move them on. I want to school them year around also. So I thought 4 weeks on 1 week off for my sanity. But I have nagging feeling they are behind I am their teacher and I am going to ruin their lives !!!!

Help I need major help here.

I am Jill and I am officially loosing my mind !!!

Did I mention that this is totally stressing me and I have had a stiff neck for 4 days.

oredeb
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

i know what you mean  about that weather!! we all wana be outside, playing, working in the garden, riding bikes, hiking around, etc!hahaha

Quoting michiganmom116:

It's going better than other years.  We are 7 weeks away from finishing our curriculum for this year.  It's getting harder to focus as the weather gets nicer, but we'll make it.

DrJChappell
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Good question. I've been burned out since about Christmas, maybe a little before, so we haven't done much at all. They read a lot. DS13 has been playing football and fishing. DS12 has been reading and playing video games. DD8 is more proactive - she reads and works in her workbook. I'm not sure I could even call us unschooling right now - we're more detoxing, I guess.

msmed
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Quoting DrJChappell:

Good question. I've been burned out since about Christmas, maybe a little before, so we haven't done much at all. They read a lot. DS13 has been playing football and fishing. DS12 has been reading and playing video games. DD8 is more proactive - she reads and works in her workbook. I'm not sure I could even call us unschooling right now - we're more detoxing, I guess.

Detoxing - YES!  That is exactly how I feel right now!  We took our son (12) out in September & daughter (10) out in November and we have never really deschooled.  We have done light homeschooling, very relaxed, totally as non-stressful as possible.  I feel like we're slowly trying to detox from public school - shaking it off while slowly easing into this new way of life.

lucsch
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM

We are finishing our 5th year (3rd grade)--about 8 weeks left. It has gone really well.

I think you have to find the method of teaching that works for you, as the teacher-mom, and for the kids. Sometimes that means you don't get to do that picture-perfect image you have in your head labeled "homeschool nervana."

Try to concentrate on the learning being "the next thing" and not necessarily grade level. Also, keep in mind that just because there is some fancy wording on a national standard, that does not always translate into what a child learns but what a teacher attempts to teach.  One-on-one teaching, a.k.a. tutoring, that kids get at home has to be a better learning environment than a class full of kids that may or may not be learning something.

You also do not need to use the same methods used in school. A lot of what kids do in school is busy work. Why do a spelling worksheet if the kid already knows the words, for example.

oredeb
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM

hahahahha detoxing!!! yes good word!!! we can say im a homeschooler but in the detox stage right now!

Quoting DrJChappell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)