Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How is homeschooling going for you?

Posted by   + Show Post

how are you doing? any problems? need some help?

any thing that would help other moms/kids?

any praises?

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Replies (11-18):
bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM

We are almost finished with our books  for this year.  Then we will work on doing fun activites for the summer.  My son, 8, has spring fever and is ready to be done so he can be outside all the time.

lovepotato
by Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I'm actually starting next year officially, so I come here mostly for ideas. My son will be starting kindergarten in the fall and I've been researching. My son has learned 14 letters, he can recognize them now. That makes me so happy! Last summer every time I asked him what a letter is, he would sometimes guess and sometimes say "cucumber." He knows most of the things a PreK kid should know about math. We're doing Lesson Pathways now for PreK.

I've been slightly overwhelmed by all the curriculum choices, so I've been doing it by process of elimination. I look at the ones people have suggested. If I don't like it for whatever reason, I delete it off my bookmarks. If I think it could maybe work for us, I print out some info from their website so I can look at it later. That's been helping me decide.

LaurainMT
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I'm taking the week off!  I just posted about recharging my batteries on my blog.  It's so important.  Gives you a new perspective.  My husband's at home with the kids but while I'm away and they're doing the stuff they can do without my assistance; like on-line Spanish, piano, etc, but mostly they're getting the week off, too, because that stuff doesn't take much time.  

When I return, I'll have much more energy and we'll open up a new writing program.  We're trying to find something that really catches their interest.  Hopefully this will be the one!

I also posted on our eclectic way of homeschooling.  I'm all for dumping a program that doesn't work.  If they kids aren't enjoying it (relatively speaking). 

I also think it helps to homeschool in little bites when spring fever develops.  Working 20 minutes here or there on a subject is effective. 

Taking a week off altogether isn't a bad idea.  When you're batteries are low it's hard to focus and you'll probably get much more done after doing nothing for a few days.

Love,

Laura

oredeb
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM

love potatoe, i like the way your going through the curr ideas! such a good idea, i will try it!

Quoting lovepotato:

I'm actually starting next year officially, so I come here mostly for ideas. My son will be starting kindergarten in the fall and I've been researching. My son has learned 14 letters, he can recognize them now. That makes me so happy! Last summer every time I asked him what a letter is, he would sometimes guess and sometimes say "cucumber." He knows most of the things a PreK kid should know about math. We're doing Lesson Pathways now for PreK.

I've been slightly overwhelmed by all the curriculum choices, so I've been doing it by process of elimination. I look at the ones people have suggested. If I don't like it for whatever reason, I delete it off my bookmarks. If I think it could maybe work for us, I print out some info from their website so I can look at it later. That's been helping me decide.

oredeb
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

sounds like your getting a nice break!

i bet some moms would like to read your blog wheres your site?

Quoting LaurainMT:

I'm taking the week off!  I just posted about recharging my batteries on my blog.  It's so important.  Gives you a new perspective.  My husband's at home with the kids but while I'm away and they're doing the stuff they can do without my assistance; like on-line Spanish, piano, etc, but mostly they're getting the week off, too, because that stuff doesn't take much time.  

When I return, I'll have much more energy and we'll open up a new writing program.  We're trying to find something that really catches their interest.  Hopefully this will be the one!

I also posted on our eclectic way of homeschooling.  I'm all for dumping a program that doesn't work.  If they kids aren't enjoying it (relatively speaking). 

I also think it helps to homeschool in little bites when spring fever develops.  Working 20 minutes here or there on a subject is effective. 

Taking a week off altogether isn't a bad idea.  When you're batteries are low it's hard to focus and you'll probably get much more done after doing nothing for a few days.

Love,

Laura

Jjmill5
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM
I just had a baby so I have only homeschooled 4 days out of the last 3 weeks, but next week we r getting back into it. I personally can't wait to be done with this year bc Sonlight has been challenging bc of ds language delay. Next year I plan on using a combination of some books repeated from this year and a program for 3 to 5 year old for both 5 yo and 3 yo from my fathers world.
AlyBren
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I'm feeling so relieved now that my decision to homeschool and unschool is solid.

The anxiety built up when I was feeling like I had to make a decision on whether to send her to JK or not was excruciating, and now it's just GONE.

I'm working on de-schooling myself and getting rid of school-think, which difficult since I teach at the moment and am a month away from graduating, and just trying to keep on doing with DD what I've always done. Living and learning and learning through life.

If anyone unschools and has tips for deschooling your adult self, please, do enlighten me! I'm making progress, but I always seem to mentally run back to my safety net of "well, if she doesn't x before xx, I can always break out the text books." =/

awilliams77
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:15 PM
AlyBren- I am in a similar process, but after years of homeschooling... I've been trying to read some John Holt and other authorrs, w/o much success due to a schedule change. My job schedule just changed to a weird 3rd shift of 8 pm to 4:30 am Sat-Wed from APRIL- SEPT. Not sure which end is up some days! I have some good titles from the library, will look them up for you later.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN