Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Helpful suggestions anyone?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM
  • 15 Replies

My middle ds turned 4 in January and my mother in law is pressuring us to put him in the pre-k program at her school. My oldest ds started out in public school, therefore had all the basics when we started homeschooling him in the 2nd grade. He's now in the 5th grade.  Middle ds  sings his abc's and can count up to 40 but he can't recognize any letters or numbers when I show them to him. He can hold up how many fingers when I ask him to but he still hasn't caught on to the written ones.  I'm not sure how to start from the beginning with homeschool and we really don't want to put him in public school considering all the problems we had with it with my oldest. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Any advice would be great !!

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I had the EXACT same problem with my son. We pulled his sister out right before 2nd. Just start at the beginning. Get a poster of the ABCs and start pointing to them as you sing. Start a letter of the week curriculum (google it, tons of ideas) start working with simple addition, shapes, whatever.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I would suggest reading the first few chapters of the book 'Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons'. My son didn't like the lessons, BUT the beginning of the books talks about HOW to teach a child to read and it really helped me see some common mistakes I made. For example, when we make letter sounds we tend to add an 'uh' or 'ah' to the sound. Like D. D says "D" not D-uh. B says "B" not B-uh. So if you told your child to sound out the word bad, they'd try it saying, b-uh, ah, d-uh, instead of three distinct hard sounds.

wildmama3
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you. I will definitely start there. And will be googling too :) 

I think I remember seeing posters like that at the dollar store.

Thanks for the book suggestion. I'm going to see if I can find it.

oredeb
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

yea what mem said!!

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Please also realize that the PS has an unrealistic view of when children need to learn letters & numbers! A child learns those things at their own pace based off of brain development & there is a wide range of ages that children learn those things. From as young as 4 to as old as 12 for some!

michiganmomof10
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this

He sounds pretty advanced for 4.  Just keep doing what you are doing, let him set the pace for learning. Maybe get some cheap workbooks. I also like D'nelian handwriting for preschool. It has large letters to help them learn to write that naturally converts to cursive. Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons is great book for learning to read. Just have fun together, puzzles, blocks, etc.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

We HATED 100 easy Lessons.... We are fans of all About Spelling & All About Reading. I've looked at AAR and  wished we had had that one but DD is a GREAT reader.

we used LeapFrog DVDs.. Letter Factory and then Word Factory, played games with letter flash cards like lining them up and having her jump on them when I say the sound or having her jump and say the sound, putting them on the wall with sticky tack poter stuff- call one out and have her run up and pull it off. As she got more advnaced I would put the upper case on the wall, hold up the lower case and she had to find it's buddy.

We then went to BOB books and Dr. Seuss books for lots of rhyme and repitition and she did GREAT!

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

start simple. there are tons of things you can print off to help. I agree witht he one who said  keep a poster of the abc's  for him to look at. That has helped my 3 yr old a ton, he actually knows more than I thought he did lol. We're starting with tracing pages for numbers & his name, to help him recognize them. I do not expect him to trace them at all right now or at the very least not even close to  doing it correctly, but if you start small he'll get it. Google free preschool worksheets. My son does great with  the ones where you count the objects & circle the number & of course the cut & paste ones. lol oh there's a website too that we used with the girls that helped thema  LOT. starfall.com  I keep forgetting about it, but I'm gonna let my son work on there tomorrow a little. 

5BMom
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I think Language Lessons for Little Ones Vol. 1 from Queen Homeschool might be a good option for reading. (www.queenhomeschool.com). It teaches letters in a gentle, thorough way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome Wildmamma3.  My children are all grown now, but I still tutor, give workshops at home school conventions, and workshops for teachers at local colleges.  So I get asked lots of questions, and have created information at the following link to answer the most common ones.  This should help you with most of your questions, but feel free to ask us anything you feel the need to ask.

How To Home School

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN