Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

One on One Time

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM
  • 12 Replies

How often do you do one on one time with your child(ren)?   I know we all home school for that special time with our kids, but how often does this one on one time occur and what do you use that special time for?  Do you use it to catch up on each others company or do you use this time as a way help with the school work? 

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1Redapple
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Oh, now I feel bad.  I think our 1 on 1 time is getting less and less as she ages.  I do purposely sit with her durring her favorite tv programs and I know she likes that sometimes she even talks to me. But...the first 11 years, she was a shadow to me always there and engaging me.  It is good for her to grow and change and through school we are still one on one.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:38 PM

We don't do it as much as we would like but when we do get to do it one of us will take a child out some place & spend time doing something with them that they want to do.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM
We get one on one time during nap. That is really about it. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletPlacebo
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I only have one child, so I actually need LESS one on one time LOL

oredeb
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM

there was always time for one on one with the kids throughout the day, sometimes just to talk , sometimes it was school work,; sometimes we'd cook, or go feed the animals together, or do the shopping together or work in the garden, or make soap, or pick berries, could go on and on

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Honestly, I can't think of how I woulddo it with 7!  Large families amaze me! LOL

DS1 and I bot h train in karate. We go in together a couple times a week and we laugh and talk before and after, we beat on each other in the dojo and in play at home. It's all in good fun.

DS2 and DD go walkingwith me a lot. We can talk and play around then.

Sometimes I take one or the other with me when I run errands and we stop off for a treat, starbucks or an ice cream.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

MommyLisa
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM

We don't have a set schedule, but I try to squeeze in special time as often as possible.  Yesterday I was able to take my oldest for a mani/pedi and lunch and hopefully tomorrow I can take the youngest out for some ice cream!  I know the clock is ticking since the new baby is coming so I'm trying to fit in what I can now.

AntroNet
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM

IMHO I think that "one on one time" is played up by people who think families should limit their size.  The one excuse (among thousands) you hear from people who wish to "depopulate" the earth and keep the families small is "how are you going to give all the attention to each child if you keep having more?"  You do it moment by moment, opportunity by opportunity.  Otherwise, it's not so special.  Large families have quality time...not quantity.  And brothers and sisters that learn to have "one on one time" among themselves is learning how to love independently--by choice...not because mama told me so.

Please, don't think I am attacking anyone or even one child families.  I am just speaking my mind on why a lot of people put an emphasis on one on one time and use it as a weapon against large/homeschooling families. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:11 AM

You bring up a good point, Kirbymom.  That is something I could have been more cognizant of..The oldest child especially needs the one on one time because they often miss what they had before the others arrived.

oredeb
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM

hahahahahahahaha

Quoting VioletPlacebo:

I only have one child, so I actually need LESS one on one time LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN