Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What Do You Say When Asked?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM
  • 15 Replies

I never realized how many people feel compelled to ask children why they aren't in school.  I, personally, used to see kids out all the time and it never occurred to me to interrogate them or their parents.  I always assumed they were either homeschooled or out of school for the day and ultimately none of my business.

We haven't had too much rudeness really, but you can see the shock on people's faces.  We are a very busy family and I keep the kids moving.  I don't see anything wrong with swinging by the grocery on the way home from a museum and I figure we have to eat, why not go out, so we're often spotted at local restaurants for lunch. 

Our day often goes like this...

"I thought spring break was over..."

"yep, we homeschool"

"oh...(long pause) why aren't you schooling then?"

"we're done"  or  "we're taking the day off"  or  "we're doing it this evening insted"  etc...

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM
3 moms liked this

I tell them we are doing a unit study on food!  the nyou get the look of "what's a unit study?" but they don't wnat to ask... LOL

Or I just say, we school at all different times.

5BMom
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I am in a small resort town where, everyone knows everyone...and everyone knows everyones business...and when they flush their toilets.... So pretty much its all over that crazy Stefanie is homeschooling her poor kids... and people stopped asking!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moma3boyz
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I was the second person to remove our kids from ps that day, so here locally I don't hear to much. I have heard everything from praise to them telling me that mothers who homeschool are setting their kids up for failure. When someone asks me why we aren't in school, I just smile and say we are. I figure they are learning all the time. And the first person that told me homeschooling was better for the kids was the receptionist at the school and then my sons kindergarten teacher.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:53 AM
I just say "they are homeschooled" with a big smile. I haven't got the "well why aren't you schooling then?" question so far. Most people say "oh wow, that is so great! I wish I would have done that!"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msmed
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:58 AM

We get that occasionally, too.  Like you, I always saw kids out when my kids were in public school and never thought anything of it.  None. Of. My. Business. It always amazes me when you get some really judgemental stranger asking those kinds of questions.  Truly, we don't owe anyone any explanation but I always have a quick response. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Why *do* people think they have the right to say something? I get that spring break is happening for a lot right now, so someone might say "are you enjoying your spring break?" or something innocent, but normally, why comment?
I always think they must assume my kid is sick and I'm running around town. Lol

Quoting msmed:

We get that occasionally, too.  Like you, I always saw kids out when my kids were in public school and never thought anything of it.  None. Of. My. Business. It always amazes me when you get some really judgemental stranger asking those kinds of questions.  Truly, we don't owe anyone any explanation but I always have a quick response. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsjones2207
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM

What makes me loose my cool is when they feel the need to quiz my kids...REALLY PISSES ME OFF

SilentDraconia
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM
5 moms liked this
I've had my boys quizzed before. Ticked me off too, but my son handled it like a champ. Don't remember one of the questions (my son is almost 8) but went something like this P: what is the capital of the USA ? DS: Washington D.C. P: what is 5x4. DS: 20. P: What is a noun. DS: person place or thing. These questions are easy I learned this in kindergarten. Did they not teach you this in public school? My mom can help you she's a really good teacher.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM

we just tell them the same thing, they always seem excited and interested, now when i see moms in the store w/ their kids i sometimes ask also! they are surprized when i say i homeschool also!

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:58 AM

It depends on if they are being rude or not!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN