Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What Do You Say When Asked?

Posted by   + Show Post

I never realized how many people feel compelled to ask children why they aren't in school.  I, personally, used to see kids out all the time and it never occurred to me to interrogate them or their parents.  I always assumed they were either homeschooled or out of school for the day and ultimately none of my business.

We haven't had too much rudeness really, but you can see the shock on people's faces.  We are a very busy family and I keep the kids moving.  I don't see anything wrong with swinging by the grocery on the way home from a museum and I figure we have to eat, why not go out, so we're often spotted at local restaurants for lunch. 

Our day often goes like this...

"I thought spring break was over..."

"yep, we homeschool"

"oh...(long pause) why aren't you schooling then?"

"we're done"  or  "we're taking the day off"  or  "we're doing it this evening insted"  etc...

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Replies (11-15):
lucsch
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I don't mind being asked why my dd is not in school--I think it is a curious and innocent enough question. Why would that bother you? I just answer truthfully, or more likely, my dd answers. She is an outgoing, talkative child.

Quizzing is another matter altogether. That would be questioning my ability to homeschool my dd. That would make me angry!

Nevermore-rvn
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Oh thank you, your post gave me a laugh! That's the exact attitude my moms whole family (and every nosey friend and stranger) had about her homeschooling us! "Oh those poor poor abbused children!" "She won't let them go to school, she doesn't want them to have a social life!" "They'll never be able to function in the real world!" etc etc etc all through my childhood lol. I'm 23 and function just fine by the way, probably better;)

Quoting 5BMom:

I am in a small resort town where, everyone knows everyone...and everyone knows everyones business...and when they flush their toilets.... So pretty much its all over that crazy Stefanie is homeschooling her poor kids... and people stopped asking!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM

4 years and I've never once been asked. 8( I keep waiting for it!! LOL

letstalk747
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:30 PM

i say we homeschool

MommyLisa
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I wouldn't say it bothers me, except we live in an extremely highly ranked school district so disapproval/concern is often followed by the questions.  Not to mention we are still adjusting and it makes my daughter uncomfortable, she's really shy and she loves homeschooling but she gets very nervous when they start questioning our reasons or what she's learning.

So, I guess I don't mind being asked...I mind being judged.

Quoting lucsch:

I don't mind being asked why my dd is not in school--I think it is a curious and innocent enough question. Why would that bother you? I just answer truthfully, or more likely, my dd answers. She is an outgoing, talkative child.

Quizzing is another matter altogether. That would be questioning my ability to homeschool my dd. That would make me angry!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)