Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about 3rd grader...help please!!

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:23 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi I'm new here but need some advice. I home school my kinder and 3rd grader. My 3rd grader gives me trouble about doing his school work every day!!! UGH!!! I try to make it fun for all of us and he still just whines all the time! He doesn't want to go to public school but gives me trouble! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Proud wife of a United States Airman!

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SilentDraconia
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:29 AM
2 moms liked this
I had the same problems for awhile. I changed from straight book work to time4learning in the computer and and ask him what his interest are for the day. It really seems to help a lot. Hang in there mama. It takes a while to get in the groove.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Hi 3blondboys.  I grew up on Air Force bases.  Welcome!

My children are all grown, but I still tutor, give workshops at home school conventions and at local colleges.   Sounds like your son is either an analytical or hands on learner.  As a tutor, most of the children I receive are hands on learners.

More about how to teach the hands on learner at this link: Hands On Learners

The following video is about the analytical child.  They are often gifted:

More about the Rational Child Here.

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM

P.S Along with my comment above. My success rate as a tutor (and that of my team)  is unusually high. The children we are given are the ones that are considered the children most difficult to teach.  But I find that it is important to adjust my method of teaching to fit the child rather than the reverse. Young children have a natural eager desire to learn, and if they are not wanting to learn,  there is a reason.

How To Home School is an article with possible answers for you. 

Also please keep us informed.

oredeb
by debbie on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

hi mo3blondeboys,  when my kids wont do what i ask i tell my dh, he sets them right! but if your dh isnt there now, he needs to respect you, when i was single homeschooling (8yrs) i learned to follow through with what i said would happen if they didnt do their work, sometimes a spanking(the bad word!!!) sometimes taking away play time, or outside time till the work was done, or they could go out and pull weeds, extra chores(no reason they should be just sitting there doing nothing there part of the family also!)

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Did you deschool before jumping in with both feet? The deschooling process is so helpful in getting rid of the "school mind set" that we are all programed with from our years in PS! please read this if you haven't deschooled yet!

http://www.sandradodd.com/deschooling

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM

IMO, this is a parenting issue, not a homeschooling issue. It is all about respect. Explain that it has to be done, that there will be no whining allowed. A few days without privileges should help.

What are you doing for 3rd grade? If the work is really too much or above level, that also could be the problem. Many public school kids are behind grade level expectations.

mo3blondeboys
by New Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Thank you so much for the advice! I appreciate it!

Quoting romacox:

P.S Along with my comment above. My success rate as a tutor (and that of my team)  is unusually high. The children we are given are the ones that are considered the children most difficult to teach.  But I find that it is important to adjust my method of teaching to fit the child rather than the reverse. Young children have a natural eager desire to learn, and if they are not wanting to learn,  there is a reason.

mo3blondeboys
by New Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 2:25 AM

I am doing all aop horizons and he seems bored with it! or at least the math part. that's where I usually have the most problems is with the math. He likes everything else. We came from an advanced school system to a very behind school system here. I think he is challenged enough he just fights me over doing math. I don't want to threaten things to get him to do schoolwork but I guess I need to be more assertive. I don't want to be a push over!

Quoting lucsch:

IMO, this is a parenting issue, not a homeschooling issue. It is all about respect. Explain that it has to be done, that there will be no whining allowed. A few days without privileges should help.

What are you doing for 3rd grade? If the work is really too much or above level, that also could be the problem. Many public school kids are behind grade level expectations.

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:18 AM

You are welcome mo3biondeboys.  Allow me to share a true story with you. I know your challenge is math, but this might help.   I was given a 6th grader who could not read adequately.  He asked me not to have him read out loud, and I knew it was because he wanted to hide his inability from the other kids I was tutoring.  This student had developed all sorts of behavior problems to hide his shame.  He was the class clown, and used humor to disrupt class.

I quickly discovered that the source of his problem was that he was pronouncing some of the phonic sounds (very common among the students I get)  incorrectly making it difficult for him to blend the sounds to form words.  I explained, to him, what was needed, and he was eager to learn the correct enunciation.  He quickly began reading better, and, to my surprise, was excited about reading out loud.  I had to make him allow time for others to read out loud.

He had been the class clown for so many years, so that took a little more time to resolve.  But when I explained to him his behavior was keeping the other kids from learning what they needed,  even that improved considerably.

Your Son may well be upset with math because he is not grasping it.  The curriculum may not by right for him.  I find this is typical with the new math approach.  Math U See was created by a home school Dad, and does not use new math.  I particularly like the first series because it explains the concept of math to the kids....It is the foundation.   You might give them a call, and discuss your son with them...see if they recommend going back to the first series.

Quoting mo3blondeboys:

Thank you so much for the advice! I appreciate it!

Quoting romacox:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)