Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

hi, i partly homeschooled 2 kids, one wanted it the other i couldnt hand over to special ed which is terrible

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM
  • 5 Replies

i made this huge huge mistake of having therapists for my son when he was young. they stunk and everyone is so brainwashed to think its amazing. but theyre just like teachers, 1 in 100 is amazing. and i think young kids need to PLAY. that was my mistake. my son thrived when i got rid of all but one therapist for 2 hours a week. he didnt feel pressured or bored, that was a good amount for him. The problem is because he has sensory issues and talked poorly, they wanted to put him in a class with kids just like him for half the day. that doesn't make sense, still doesn't. he's bright otherwise and he's sweet. he needed role models. They just lump kids together, aggressive kids, quiet kids, cognitively behind kids (some may just not have been exposed but theyre not good on tests), its a nutty cash cow. It was so stressful that I just said screw it, im a stay home mom anyway and I actually care so on and off i homeschooled. I found a very accommodating private school that let me send my son there and the state sent a part time aide which i was against but the private school wanted it because teachers are kinda lazy now. so he also had peer exposure which he liked. I didnt have to send him all the time. Homeschooling doesnt have to be all day every day if you can find some accommodation. Frankly what appeals to me about it is that you can set your own schedule. I just couldnt handle it with 5 kids because i didnt have sufficient resources. Im not plug and play in the church community and people just dont do it where I am. Plus one of my boys is so wild, my daughter is super social and straightlaced and the world revolves around her click for better or for worse, alot depends on the personalities. For me, I think the system isnt good and I live in a wealthy area and I can honestly say special ed is a real stinkhole.

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM

So, you partly homeschool one? That's great. Every little bit helps. 8)

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Welcome to the group! We all have to do what works for our family regardless of what others think or feel! I agree with you about therapist my oldest son has Autism & when I removed him from PS we stopped all the therapy as well. He is more comfortable with himself now then he ever was before because I let him do things the way he want to do them instead of the way others think he should do them.

oredeb
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM

welcome larajohnson! hope your enjoying homeschooling!!!

larajohnson2
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM

thanks!

larajohnson2
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM

thanks! I dont want to offend but imo there's only classical autism which is sadly impossible to cure. If you've ever seen it. it's terribly depressing. that said, many kids have actually been misdiagnosed with classical autism. I just don't believe in autism spectrum disorders.  I think many kids have delayed speech, are less than social, have sensory issues are difficult but this is alot of adults you know (minus most of the sensory) and they get by and I dont think they merit a label. Same for add. Half the adults I know have no attention span.It hurts some people more than others.  When I was a kid, they didn't do this to children with 1001 therapies and classifications, there were just bad kids and good kids and many kids were unjustly called bad or stupid but I think it was still easier on them, especially being mixed with alot of different kids. I think many kids arent ready for regular school until 2nd grade, especially the boys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN