Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How to convince the hubby...Help!

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM
  • 6 Replies

My husband is adamant about homeschooling our children. I'm mostly on board, but recent family changes are shifting my opinion. Note: I'm in no way against homeschooling--let me be clear about that. My husband got a promotion and will be spending the better part of this next year travelling for his company. I just graduated from college and got a full time job to help pay off my student loan debt since I maxed it out. With me working and my husband being away, I thought it would be a good idea to send our oldest to preschool--with all the change that's going on, I don't want his education falling by the wayside and I don't know that this is something my babysitter would be comfortable being in charge of. How do I convince my husband, who is staunchly pro-homeschool and anti-brick and mortar school (he was homeschooled Prek-12 himself) that sending our child to preschool is a good thing?

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

If your child is only preschool aged what are you scared they will fall behind on? Why dose any special learning time have to happen while you are at work? Why can't it just wait until you are home & can do it? At that age the learning should all be play based & fun. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so anyways if you insist on some kind of structure!

Sorry I am not much help in what you want because I am with your hubby on this one!

sreichelt26
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I agree.

Quoting usmom3:

If your child is only preschool aged what are you scared they will fall behind on? Why dose any special learning time have to happen while you are at work? Why can't it just wait until you are home & can do it? At that age the learning should all be play based & fun. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so anyways if you insist on some kind of structure!

Sorry I am not much help in what you want because I am with your hubby on this one!

jennabean1511
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 4:51 PM

No disrespect to anyone, but I'm looking for advice on how to get my husband to see my side of the issue--I'm not looking for people to come at me like I'm wrong for wanting my child to go to preschool. I know many homeschool moms who send their kids to preschool and am looking for support. Frankly, with my husband being gone, my working all day, and tending to the house/other activities once I'm home for the evening, I am afraid that I won't be able to find the time/energy to school when I'd like and I just want to make sure my child gets an education, even if it's not from me. I think moms should be more supportive of one another and not so judgmental. I don't want to be forced to leave schooling to be done on the weekends because that's not good for my child. I would appreciate supportive advice, please.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Quoting jennabean1511:

No disrespect to anyone, but I'm looking for advice on how to get my husband to see my side of the issue--I'm not looking for people to come at me like I'm wrong for wanting my child to go to preschool. I know many homeschool moms who send their kids to preschool and am looking for support. Frankly, with my husband being gone, my working all day, and tending to the house/other activities once I'm home for the evening, I am afraid that I won't be able to find the time/energy to school when I'd like and I just want to make sure my child gets an education, even if it's not from me. I think moms should be more supportive of one another and not so judgmental. I don't want to be forced to leave schooling to be done on the weekends because that's not good for my child. I would appreciate supportive advice, please.

Then maybe you should ask them directly for support instead of in here where you are going to get the kind of advise I gave that you obviously don't want & are upset over!

I did not judge you, I gave advice that you didn't want or like!

Pinned Image

oredeb
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM

well i dont think sending your child to preschool is a good thing! but i know things happen, and cant be helped

i bet your baby sitter would like to help out, its preschool, so not hard to do, having fun with the child, doing art and craft projects, dancing, singing, playing!  just the stuff you'd naturally do with the kids!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry that you feel like you should put your child in a public school institution.  But if you feel like its the only resort you have to help him be educated then that is what you do. You should talk to your husband and tell him what you have told us. Just be open and heart felt.  I wouldn't recommend public schooling but if that is what you want then that is what you do.  You can always pull him out at a later point and home school later.  Anyhow, you have support whenever you want to ask about home schooling.  Its not as difficult to do as it first seems.  Do you not want to home school because it seems you aren't qualified enough?  Because if that is it, let me say, you don't need a degree to be able to home school your kids.  Its about the love and the interest and the things you do together that is what education is about.  You can do this if you want to.  As I said before, if the other is what you feel is best, then that is what you do.   No judgement from anyone here.  :)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN