Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Co-op problems-Sorry, long!! UPDATE at bottom UPDATE #2 at bottom

Posted by   + Show Post

I've had some problems with the leader of our co-op and this link will explain it.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200/forums/read/15493830/Annoyed_UPDATED_at_bottom

Now, to get to what's going on currently:

I am really upset right now with not only the leader of our group but a few people in the group. First, there are three more "cooking" classes left; i use that term loosely, because for the class, all they will be doing is cutting out pictures of food from magazines( yeah that's what you do in preschool when you learn how to use scissors) and learning how to set a table ( as if 5th graders have never done that before). I wasn't allowed to choose recipes that didn't include using a stove, yet the class isn't even going to be IN the kitchen!! I emailed Martha and told her how upset and insulted I was that the class was taken away from me and given to someone who could supposedly do a better job and the class wont' even be in the kitchen?!? She hasn't responded to me yet but that's because of problem number 2. There is allegedly mold in the church that we are using for co-op. I'm not denying that there isn't mold, because there is mold in almost every house and building around here, unless it is a brand new building. The problem is, a handful of the moms are complaining that the mold in the basement where the kindergarten and preschool class meets is making their kids sick. One mom in particular is leading the crusade for this, and even created a survey for the group yesterday about what "we" should do about this. The church is allowing us to use their building for FREE, which was pointed out to this mom, not to mention I and a couple of other people pointed out that it is going to be impossible to find another facility that will meet our needs. We need a gym and classroom space, and this church used to have a school which no longer exists, so the building is ideal. There are NO other buildings anywhere that will meet our needs. This mom, "C" is throwing a temper tantrum saying that she isn't even going to come anymore if the mold problem isn't taken care of. Fine,then don't. The majority of the group is NOT having any problems with the mold. "C" thinks that we should find another facility or make the church ( who once again, is allowing us to use their building for FREE) pay for the mold removal, which is REALLY expensive. I think at this point, Martha is fed up with all the complaining from all sides but so are the rest of us. As the leader of the group, she needs to address the problems, and not just shout orders to everyone. I'm really upset about this, because there are NO other co-ops in our area that aren't an all day, school model group. In addition to all of these, there are several mothers who refuse to participate in the co-op in a teaching or helping capacity, because they congregate in the preschool room; they won't leave their kids for more than 10 minutes without going into withdrawals and I'm not exaggerating. This means the rest of us are responsible for handling the older kids' classes ( many of which have kids in them that are the older siblings of the preschoolers) and it is the same parents that have to do everything, every week.

"C" actually took 4 hours over the last couple of days to prepare this long "data analysis" about this. Can you say "GET A LIFE!"? This was my response to her "data analysis" crap. It was also sent to the rest of the group. No one else is responding; I guess they are afraid to speak up or are just ignoring her.

Here is the bottom line: The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. I feel very strongly that GOD provided us with this building and to complain about what He has blessed us with as it if isn't good enough, is not being very grateful. If our group starts demanding that the church fix this problem, when they have been so kind and generous as to let us use their facility for free, we might just lose the building altogether. I know if I were to allow someone to use my home or my car, and they started demanding that I fix things out of my own pocket, then I would be very upset and not allow them to use it anymore. This church has a very small congregation and I know that they do not have the funds to pay for mold remediation. I doubt anyone in our group does either. I think if we put our collective heads together, as well as pray, we can come up with a solution to fix this problem without placing the responsibility on the church. Speaking for myself and my kids, I would have no problem at all moving them down to the basement for classes, as I know for certain that our house has mold in it and it hasn't caused us any problems. Again, that's just speaking for myself and my kids and I don't know if anyone else would be okay with that idea.

UPDATE!! I just got an email that there willb e a meeting on Tuesday to discuss the mold issue. I told Martha and the rest of the group that we will not be attending the meeting, and I have already expressed my opinions on the matter, and have nothing else constructive to contribute. If I come up with an idea between now and then, I will let them know.

UPDATE #2: I didn't attend the meeting but I heard it was quite interesting. For once, Martha ( the leader) actually did what a leader is supposed to do and set everyone straight. Basically, she said that we are blessed to have that building for free, and that the majority of people are comfortable there. She said we shouldn't expect the church to pony up the money to take care of the mold problem. She also said we are all adults, and if someone feels uncomfortable bringing their family there, then they need to do what's best for THEIR family and find another place to go; for now, we are keeping things as they are. She also said the most logical first step is to just move to another room. ( Bear in mind that myself as well as several other people have already said all of these exact same suggestions)"C", the ringleader of the resistance ( LOL, sorry, just couldn't resist being funny) apparently tried to make a big fuss about how 30% of the group is "mildly concerned" about the mold and Martha told her that's still NOT the majority and she is the only one who is really being vocal about it. From what I understand, "C" got mad and walked out to the playground and didn't come back inside for the rest of the meeting although she was there this past Tuesday.( We went on Tuesday for a science center presentation) Martha still never responded to me about the whole cooking class debacle. She has been out of town the last week or so but she could have emailed me. I am trying to give her the benefit of the doubt that maybe she didn't get the email; I don't know. I'm not sure if I will be attending the rest of the classes for this year; I might just go to the gym class and skip the "cooking" class.

Anyway, for now, things seem to be more or less settled. We'll see what happens next year!!

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Replies (11-19):
Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Ummm, as a mom of a severe asthmatic i would make a stnk as well. I understand the church is free, but why would anyone want their kds surrounded by mold? I would think most people woukd want a different facility.

I think conducting a survey is a great way to get everyone's imput w/o putting people on the spot.

Secondly, i don't see the problem w/ a mom of a preschool age child wanting to remain in the class w/ them. Shoot at our co-op we have parents of much older children that sit in on the classes. I, personally, appreciate this as they can help keep their own child on point.

But. It sounds like you don't like the co-op or the members, so it sounds like maybe a co-op of this nature is the wrong choice for your family. I'd see if the library will let you start a reading program or something instead.

Good luck!
Shannon

Here is the problem: There is no other facility that meets our needs. This building has a gym as well as classroom space and a baseball field. If there was another facility that has these same things, we would gladly meet there, but there just isn't. The mold is not causing a problem for the entire group, because most of us already have mold in our houses. Most homes in this area have mold in them.

Here is the issue with the moms staying in the preschool class: Most of these moms also have children in the upper grades. They refuse to teach or help in the other classes, which leaves about 4 of us to do the teaching and helping. It is not fair to put that much responsibility on the rest of us when the other moms are perfectly capable of helping. THere is no need to have THAT many people in the preschool room.

If it weren't for the fact that my kids have made friends in this group, I wouldn't even bother messing with it anymore. I just hate the thought of removing them from it. I ( foolishly) offered to organize a fundraiser selling Sheetz coupon books to offset the cost of the mold removal. Personally, I don't think I should have to do this. I think the ones who are complaining about the mold, should be the ones offering to do fundraising, instead of screaming "My kids are gonna DIE from the mold!!!" I just want to be part of the solution, not the problem. I made the suggestion, and it's up to everyone else if they want to take it. I'm washing my hands of the whole thing. If the group wants me to do the fundraising, I will. If not, I'm staying out of the whole thing from now on.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I guess I see both sides of the coin. Mold is bad, no doubt about it, but finding a new place is hard to do. Can the classes be moved to a less moldy part of the building?

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Quoting mem82:

I guess I see both sides of the coin. Mold is bad, no doubt about it, but finding a new place is hard to do. Can the classes be moved to a less moldy part of the building?

You would think so, wouldn't you? Apparently, common sense left this woman a long time ago. Instead of trying to come up with solutions, she is too busy creating data analysis reports with pretty pie graphs, and doing her best Chicken Little impression "The sky is falling!!" ie-"My kids are going to DIE from the mold!!"

snowangel1979
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM
If It's that bad why doesn't SHE just leave. IDK i agree with the trying to be part of the solution not the problem. If she/they causes to much of a stink, the church is going to end up saying- Next year just find a new place to have it, your now welcome here anymore.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting mem82:

You would think so, wouldn't you? Apparently, common sense left this woman a long time ago. Instead of trying to come up with solutions, she is too busy creating data analysis reports with pretty pie graphs, and doing her best Chicken Little impression "The sky is falling!!" ie-"My kids are going to DIE from the mold!!"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Quoting snowangel1979:

That's my point, as well as several other people.

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:09 AM

BUMP!

oredeb
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:28 AM

good seems to have calmed down for awhile!

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Quoting oredeb:

good seems to have calmed down for awhile!

Well, more or less!! "C" seems to be in a slight uproar again about voting on science classes for next year this time.We are voting on what specific subjects we want to cover in science next year and these are our choices, and this is exactly the list is in the email ( I copied and pasted)

1. Explosive class
2. Health & Anatomy
3. Honey Bees
4. Astronomy
5. Electricity - making circuits
6. Trees & plants in our area
7. Birds

Somehow or other "C" got the impression that health means talking about the birds and the bees and she thinks that those subjects need to be covered by parents!! I seriously do not know what is wrong with this woman! Not one thing was mentioned about teaching sex education and I guarantee you that she is the ONLY one who thought that! She's allegedly so educated about the effects of mold on the human body so I would think she would understand that health really has nothing to do with sex education. Sex is a completely different topic which shouldn't even be discussed in a co-op setting . I don't know where she is getting this stuff.I thought I tended to overreact and read into things but this woman takes the cake!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Well, all's well that end's well, I guess. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)