Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What age did your little ones...

Posted by   + Show Post
...start following chapter books well?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Replies (11-16):
LeAnaR
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I read chapter books to all my kiddos but my younger two are having difficulty learning to read on their own. They are ages 6 and 7. (They will be turning 7 and 8 this year). It makes me sad to see so many kiddos reading at a young age and mine havent learned anything past the basic sight words (and not even all of them). They have no dissabilities just no interest in reading. Books cover my house, we go to the library and book stores often, they see me and their older siblings have a love of reading and all that good stuff that surrounds supporting a reading rich enviornment but they just done care to do it. Any help would be great.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

We've been reading chapter books to DD for a while now. She's 3, 4 in June. We've done Winnie the Pooh, Alice in Wonderland, and The Magicians Nephew. She follows them well enough to retell what was read when we ask.

Jeremmy
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Mine is 6 and does pretty well, but not perfectly. Hes really gotten a lot better at comprehension in the past 6 months too.

Jeremmy
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Just dont push them. I hated reading when I was younger. My mom is a type A personality, but somehow she controlled herself enough to not pressure me. She just kept reading to me and having me read certain books for school. Once I turned about 11 something clicked and I looooved reading. Even now, I couldnt survive without books. Just give them time, keep on reading to them. Gently push them into *some* short, easy readings to make them more confident. Make trips to the library and let them pick their own subjects. Dont give up!

Quoting LeAnaR:

I read chapter books to all my kiddos but my younger two are having difficulty learning to read on their own. They are ages 6 and 7. (They will be turning 7 and 8 this year). It makes me sad to see so many kiddos reading at a young age and mine havent learned anything past the basic sight words (and not even all of them). They have no dissabilities just no interest in reading. Books cover my house, we go to the library and book stores often, they see me and their older siblings have a love of reading and all that good stuff that surrounds supporting a reading rich enviornment but they just done care to do it. Any help would be great.

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Quoting LeAnaR:

If you haven't already tried it, why not read a book to an older child that is hilarious. We laughed out loud a lot at The Twits, by Roald Dahl but laughed so hard we cried on one part of Summer of the Monkeys. Some Hank the Cowdog books have some pretty funny parts as well. Maybe the laughter they are overhearing will make them wonder what they are missing.

Another thing you might try is writing them secret little sweet notes and not help with the reading of them. Start with the sight words they know and build from there. They might have a little motivation to see what it says, and they might even decide to write one back to you.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. They'll get there. Don't worry about other kids. God made us all uniquely perfect.

awilliams77
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:20 PM
I agree- don't push! My kids were 6-8 as they learned to read, except for my oldest who has visual perceptual difficulties similar to dyslexia. Now, my youngest at 12, and oldest at 21 are the avid readers of the group. The middle 2 can read, of course, but don't usually choose to for pleasure. So, you never know!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)