Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need some advice on LA

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM
  • 6 Replies
We are using Queens Lang. Lessons for Little Ones Vol. 2 with my 4.5 year old. He loves it... I have to add and tweak to stretch it. He is reading words like plant, inch, seed, best, boy... I want to switch off queens for something more comprehensive but I don't want an ETC type approach. Any thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM

hmmm BUMP!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 13, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Nots sure what you want...

We love All About Spelling..it really reinforces the basics and has helped DDs reading immensely. It progresses pretty quickly and has a good range of words.

We started it when the kids were older and do a lesson a day. I would think with a younger child you would probably need to take 2-3 days per lesson and review the concepts and words more.

We also like Spelling Power. Spelling Power gives lists based on a topic or rule. You pretest on Monday then only work the words they miss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

whats etc??? im abbreviation illiterate!!

5BMom
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Explode the Code! We did Book 1.

Quoting oredeb:

whats etc??? im abbreviation illiterate!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:23 AM

I use Ring Around The Phonics for all my language arts lessons.  

4quivers
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I have a wonderful spelling and writing program.  Unfortunately you can't buy it anywhere! 

I found 2 old spelling books.  One is the Rathburn's Graded Speller and the other is an old Kansas Speller.  Combined they make one heck of a program!  The don't make programs like they used to.  They used to use real quotes, moral poetry, systematic spelling, dictation, and copywork. Not to mention my boys now know quite a selection of words that are foreign to us today.  If you are interested, you might check at your library and ask about any old school books from the 20's and 30's.  I believe I saw elsewhere that you did not like CM.  These do work well with CM but I just fell in love with them beforehand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)