Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Well, I got to be *that* homeschooling mom.

Posted by   + Show Post

I ixed-nayed my 10yo daughter watching Titanic at a girl scout event. LOL There is some pretty steamy footage in there. Now, the poor troop has to watch Hugo, instead.

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Replies (31-39):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Thanks, gals.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It was a tad frosty at the drop off today 8( But I really dont make this a habit!

Jeremmy
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Thats weird that the people in charge think thats appropriate for that age....I would have had a problem with it too! There isnt much that is accurate about it either (the film makers werent trying to be factual), so its not like they are trying to teach the troop anything either.

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I love Hugo !!!

Danielle163
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Quoting Jeremmy:

....I would have had a problem with it too! That is weird that the people in charge think thats appropriate for that age. There isn't that much that is accurate about it either (the film makers werent trying to be factual), so its not like they are trying to teach the troop anything either.

Exactly---This speaks volumes about how much a large part of society has changed (and not in a good way) that they would think that "backseat sex" is appropriate for 10-11 year old girls to view in a movie. We have Titanic on tape and I just bypass it. My 9 year old asked me when she could view the entire movie and I said not before she was 14(I'm pondering if 16 would be better) and that it would also include a discussion about the scene. Good call, mem.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM

What is it about? I've never quite figured that out. LOL

Quoting bugayfamilyof4:

I love Hugo !!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:09 AM

That is what I was thinking. What part of nude sketching and sex is something a child should see? It's not like they kiss and then the camera pans away, (which I would still oppose honestly, if it wasn't done very tastefully), it's all hot and steamy. I was shocked that anyone thought that this movie was a good choice. 8(

Quoting Danielle163:

Quoting Jeremmy:

....I would have had a problem with it too! That is weird that the people in charge think thats appropriate for that age. There isn't that much that is accurate about it either (the film makers werent trying to be factual), so its not like they are trying to teach the troop anything either.

Exactly---This speaks volumes about how much a large part of society has changed (and not in a good way) that they would think that "backseat sex" is appropriate for 10-11 year old girls to view in a movie. We have Titanic on tape and I just bypass it. My 9 year old asked me when she could view the entire movie and I said not before she was 14(I'm pondering if 16 would be better) and that it would also include a discussion about the scene. Good call, mem.

peanut06
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM

If they were planning to watch it for historical context (being the 100th anniversary and all that), I agree with several pps that they should have chosen a documentary, not a movie drama with a PG-13 rating for a group of 10 year olds.

But, it's not just homeschooling moms (or Christians) who protect their children's innocent minds.  I learned that in secular homeschooling groups and around CM from moms who don't homeschool.  Just a thought :)

Happy momma and natural birth, homeschooling, and ERF advocate!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM

;) Oh, I know that. We started out in public and I consider myself a secular homeschooler. LOL

In this troop, I stuck out as the only homeschooler and it's always right there. Any choice I make, if it goes against the flow, the other moms label me as *that* homeschooler mom. 8) It started when Missie still used a booster seat at 5 when they went on field trips. At least, a year or so later, it became state law, so I'm a little justified. LOL

Quoting peanut06:

If they were planning to watch it for historical context (being the 100th anniversary and all that), I agree with several pps that they should have chosen a documentary, not a movie drama with a PG-13 rating for a group of 10 year olds.

But, it's not just homeschooling moms (or Christians) who protect their children's innocent minds.  I learned that in secular homeschooling groups and around CM from moms who don't homeschool.  Just a thought :)

Gumberly
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM
I wouldn't let my kids watch it at 10. I am not a huge fan of the movie and growing up I was obsessed with the titanic. There are so many documentaries out there that are interesting no need to watch a crappy romance to commemorate such a tragedy.
Oh, and really timing it so the ship in the film hits the iceberg at the exact time... Really?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN