Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

homeschooling advice for my dss in missouri

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM
  • 5 Replies

My stepsons mom called me a little while ago asking me about homeschooling. I told her what I could and told her I would try to get as much information as I could find together for her so "if" she decides to go ahead with homeschooling, then she would have information and resources on it. They have been having trouble with his school for a few years now and I think they have just about had it with everything now.

I know the laws in missouri are leinient as far as what is required for the curriculum... 1000 hours total, 600 on the core curriculum of reading, math, social studies, science and language arts. 400 of those need to be at the homeschool location. She would also need to keep a journal on their hours of what they did each day and samples of his work. This is all I know right now.

I want to know if she needs to write out a letter of intent? I read something on the hslda website about a school trying to get a family to fill one out and upon hslda's advice were told to not give the school a letter of intent. (I live in texas, but am visiting up here for a few months but I had to write out a letter of intent for my kids) Would they still be required to write a letter of intent for the current school or no? It was confusing the way it was written about this, I don't know if they are just saying don't fill out the schools form or to not write a letter of intent at all. I would hate for truancy charges be brought on them.

If anyone knows what legally they need to do to homeschool him I would be greatful. TIA

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
oredeb
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I'm sorry, I don't know. Good luck!

MommyMays
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Here is a website for them to go to. It is a legal website. If they follow the links they will get up to date laws for their state. 

http://www.hslda.org/

Here is what I found:

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=MO

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:18 AM

If she contacts her state home school association, they usually have that information on their website, but more importantly, they can connect her with other home educators near her.  A mentor is invaluable.  I found two home school associations at the following link: Home School Associations In Missouri

As a home school workshop provider, I receive a lot of questions. So I finally put together a web page with all sorts of information, resources and links (K through 12 including college bound).  She can access that information at the following link:  How To Home School

krazymama4
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM

i live in MO and home school no u do not have to write a letter of intent it is optional.  and you ss can particiapate in extracurlular activites at the school in the district he lives in

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN