Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Getting no support

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:54 PM
  • 4 Replies

My husband and I decided that homeschooling was right for us when my oldest started Kinder last year. My husband likes the idea of homeschooling our 3 boys (7, 5, &1) but he argues with me on how I do it.

I'm a very relaxed person and I hate having a set schedule. We have a basic routine that we follow each day but its very flexible. The only curricula I use is for math & reading/phonics. The rest we just kinda unschool. But my son has been struggling with reading and he's recently been fighting me on the math.

My husband says that he doesn't want our son to be stupid & that its my fault for not teaching him right if he's behind.  I guess I'm just feeling a bit discouraged and unclear on how to handle this situation.

What do you ladies think?

blank stare

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Well, I think you and Hubby need to have a heart to heart without tossing around words like stupid or placing blame. It sounds like your hubby and son would both do better with a schedule. I would try to find a happy compromise, like school all morning from 9am to noon, relaxed after lunch.

*hugs* We all struggle a bit at first.

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM

My children are all grown, but I still tutor, give home school convention workshops and workshops for teachers at local colleges.  My expertise is reading.  So following are some helpful tips concerning that subject:

Young children learn best through play and real life experiences because it involves their body and mind.  It is the most natural way for them to learn.  The best reading and language arts curriculum I have found is Ring Around The Phonics  I have had children cry if I decided not to play it one day, which takes the stress out of learning for both of you.. 

For math I like Math U See, and would recommend starting out with the first series...it is excellent.  Both of these curriculum/ games were created by home school families.

Unschooling is a very good method, especially for the analytical child.  But it is also more work than the other methods.  It requires having a variety of educational resources available to the child at all times, noticing what they are interested in learning, and providing them the resources to learn what interests them.  That might mean art lessons, singing lessons, Lego sets, science and art supplies extra.  Following is an article with more information on the different methods used by home educators and it includes resources. 

Home School Methods (and more)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:26 PM
My DH and had that discussion. We compromised by using a charter school that allows me to choose their curriculum. I do it at my pace but we do have daily assignments.

What he doesn't know is we have very little oversight by the charter, I could only give them one assignment a month and be done. If I were lazy..but I'm an anal retentive box checker type and they work their butts off...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

make your husband happy write the schedule out and if you dont get things done on it just add it to the next day.

tanya, tell him that kids they dont all learn the same way, some kids excel in reading some in math etc, so putting the pressure on you and the boy isnt gona help him read any quicker, age doenst matter,  do you belong to a homeschool group? maybe ;you can go to a meeting together, the more hes involved the more understanding he might be, look for some things he can read about how kids learn, is your son visual, auditory, hands on?  so what kind of trouble is your son having in reading?  try some hands on math with him if you havent already.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)