Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Suddenly homeschooling!

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM
  • 12 Replies

I was in this group about 6 months ago, hoping to get DH to let me homeschool our DD. He wasn't in favor, so I tabled the discussion. However, nothing got better and she's been having an exceptionally rough time in school this year. It's been emotionally, mentally and spiritually destructive for her and things recently came to a head.

So, rather than returning her to the shark tank, I finally got him on board and we're homeschooling her for at least the duration of this year and very likely into the future. She's a high school freshman.

Yes, I'm terrified. Thankfully, there is a very good support system in place in our community so she won't be alone and neither will I.

Lots to do in a hurry. We're going to be taking the first few weeks very slowly and decompressing before we really hit the books. I plan to spend the next few days planning and getting my ducks in a row so that we're ready for her next week.

Prayers, encouragement and advice are welcome!!

We're in IL, which has extremely loose homeschooling laws. My question is about finishing up this school year so she can get credit for her work. I'm just not sure how to complete her classes. Or do we just call this semester a loss and start over?

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM
What kind of issues she is having would decide how you handle the semester. If she is academically doing well, I would find materials and give her credit for the semester. Since you are now the principal and teacher, you can give her credit.

If she is struggling, I would back up and start her in 2nd semester in the fall or start her over now and work slowly, through the summer, and start as a sophmore in the fall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Finding a support group is awesome.  Good job girl!

As for finishing up the school year or calling it a wash, I would involve your daughter in that decision.  Children that age are more likely to co-operate if they feel they had some input. 

• 42 States offer Dual enrolment, which means your daughter can attend college for free until she turns 18.  It is possible for her to have a two year (or more) degree by the time she turns 18. More on this at this link: How To Home School (scroll down toward the bottom of the page)
  • If she is college bound, you will want to make sure to read this article: High School Courses For The College Bound and this article as well: Grade Level Requirements
SusanTheWriter
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM

She's done very poorly this year as far as grades go. She made As and Bs on most of her tests, but didn't do homework or turn in many projects. Or if she did, she didn't exert herself and did very badly on them. Her GPA for the first semester was a 2.1, mostly because she made A's in Gym for the first time ever. Her GPA last quarter was a 1.3 and this quarter was shaping up badly, too.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM

*hugs* Welcome to the fold, though I'm sorry it was because school went so bad for her. 8(

I would get a Test Prep book for her grade and do a no pressure test. Just see where she is at. It may surprise you, in a good way! LOL Passing the test is better than passing the homework but not the test.

oredeb
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:42 PM

yea!!! how bout just taking the test that they require at the end of the school year?

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM

good luck :)

SusanTheWriter
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Thanks ladies! I've been researching hs for years, but DH was never fully on board. Even now, I'll have to prove myself to keep this going, but I have faith!

It's a good thing I've spent all that time in research, too. I had half a clue where to start and after talking to one of my hs friends, she calmed me down enough to start thinking concretely instead of theoretically.

I sat down last night and wrote out what I know or think DD has covered in school this year, and what we have yet to cover, as well as what we may need to simply start over in order for her to receive the require number of credits. For instance, she needs only to pass a Civics test to finish out her Gov't class, but because of her poor performance in English, we actually need to re-do the whole year. She understands Geometry just fine, but there are some concepts left to cover. And so on.

Today is more research, as well as cleaning out my office so that we can both work in here. Woohoo!

I'm also trying to keep in mind that we're not going to be able to just jump right into a full schedule. While we should keep rolling with a couple of classes just to keep her mind occupied, she really needs time to decompress. I think that going through with Geometry, and then letting her read will do for now. The rest will come later.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I think this is a perfect time to have her take responsibility for her education & let her pick & chose the cores of things!

Oh & her grades dropping very well could be nothing to do with her learning! When I was in school I hated it & would not do my homework & would do stuff to get kicked out of class all the time but would pass the test with no problem! So she very well could be board out of her skull or feel like HS is a living soap Opera ( I was both board & felt like I was in a living soap Opera)

SusanTheWriter
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Her grades have nothing to do with her ability. She tests in the gifted range.

But her depression combined with a couple of other factors just crushed her and she bailed on doing her schoolwork. Now it's time to minimize the damage to her transcript and see if we can't catch up.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Everytime I meet someone starting from the beginning, I get all hyped up for homeschooling, all over again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN