Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I was in this group about 6 months ago, hoping to get DH to let me homeschool our DD. He wasn't in favor, so I tabled the discussion. However, nothing got better and she's been having an exceptionally rough time in school this year. It's been emotionally, mentally and spiritually destructive for her and things recently came to a head.

So, rather than returning her to the shark tank, I finally got him on board and we're homeschooling her for at least the duration of this year and very likely into the future. She's a high school freshman.

Yes, I'm terrified. Thankfully, there is a very good support system in place in our community so she won't be alone and neither will I.

Lots to do in a hurry. We're going to be taking the first few weeks very slowly and decompressing before we really hit the books. I plan to spend the next few days planning and getting my ducks in a row so that we're ready for her next week.

Prayers, encouragement and advice are welcome!!

We're in IL, which has extremely loose homeschooling laws. My question is about finishing up this school year so she can get credit for her work. I'm just not sure how to complete her classes. Or do we just call this semester a loss and start over?

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Replies (11-12):
plclemo
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Susan, I am in the EXACT same place - 9th grade daughter, homeschooling through the end of the school year, 7 weeks to go.  But our church has a oversight program so I can get help there if needed.  In Maryland.  Our daughter has been having severe headaches and near-paralysis.  Whether it has a physiological cause or an emotional cause we do not know yet.  But in any case. she has missed 26 days of school and without homeschooling would have to repeat 9th grade.  Not going to happen IF we can help it.  Yes, GOD IS ON OUR SIDE!

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:57 PM

While it's far from wonderful that your dd is also having trouble, it's GREAT to hear from another mom in my situation! We're not alone!

Quoting plclemo:

Susan, I am in the EXACT same place - 9th grade daughter, homeschooling through the end of the school year, 7 weeks to go.  But our church has a oversight program so I can get help there if needed.  In Maryland.  Our daughter has been having severe headaches and near-paralysis.  Whether it has a physiological cause or an emotional cause we do not know yet.  But in any case. she has missed 26 days of school and without homeschooling would have to repeat 9th grade.  Not going to happen IF we can help it.  Yes, GOD IS ON OUR SIDE!

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)