Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Boxed Curriculum: Take it or Leave it?

Posted by   + Show Post

What say you?

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Replies (11-18):
hopegreening
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:18 PM

We use Abeka curriculum. We love it. It has the lessons planned out for the structure. We do change it a little bit. But I think I would be lost without it.

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM

If I could afford it I would probably take it :)

StrictMomof2
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I take it, but do what I feel he needs. With my 4 year old, I make my own. I'm a huge fan of Connectionsacademy.com.

typingCome check out my blog at http://www.tidbitsofexperience.com/. I'd love to have your feedback there.  Also it lets you know more about me and my family. Hope your having a great day.

LaurainMT
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM

BpBoIt

LaurainMT
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM

It depends......

1.  If you are new to homeschooling, then I'd say YES!  I used the Sonlight boxed packages when I started and they were so helpful.  It helped me gain confidence and the structure provided was very useful.

2.  If you have been homeschooling a while and are comfortable.... It depends!!!  Some boxed curriculum might have exactly what you want.  Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  If 90% of the curriculum is something that interests you and your children, then go for it.  You'll probably save a lot of money. 

On the other hand, if the boxed curriculum contains a number of items that you know you wouldn't use, then I'd say purchase each discipline seperately.  That's that I have done over the years.  I find what works best for our children.  Everyone has a unique learning style.  It's likely that one boxed curriculum won't have exactly what you're looking for in the core disciplines.

Try doing some research into each core curriculum offered in the "boxed" set.  You may find that they don't fit your childrens' style. 

If you do purchase a boxed set, be sure to keep the box and any packing material.  When the school year is over, you can resell the unused or gently used items for a decent price.

Good luck!

Love,

Laura

doriselm
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I decided to go with the boxed one for my 2nd grader and add to it as necessary. The homeschool program my 9th grader will be in is mixed, but it will be fun. She wants to start this summer already, but we'll just do other stuff first and then start in August with what is needed. I am so excited about it. Checking out homeschool support groups here, we have lots of things for homeschoolers here.My kids are so excited I am noticing lack of some common things in my 2nd grader. So looking forward to getting her on track. They did have a great private school though.

So it'll be boxed for her since she is used to having things organized and alltogether. I am praying that my girls will be happy the way I planned homeschooling with lots of things they love to do. They love to go to museums and such. We will learn a lot me included. :)

lucsch
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I've use Sonlight and Heart of Dakota, so I "take it." I make substitutions and add some things, but it saves me a lot of trouble of "reinventing the wheel," so to speak. Everything fits together nicely, and I know there will be no gaps in my dd's education.

Kaylon
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Leave it!  Go by what your child is interested in and not what someone else thinks they should be learning.  Bought a boxed curr. and it was a waste of money.   There are so many different free resources on the Internet, if you really have to have a curr. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN