Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have you ever tried a system or type of homeschool that has just failed?

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM
  • 10 Replies

How long did it take for you to toss in your hat?

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanut06
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM

At the beginning of this school year, we tried letteroftheweek.com.  I figured it didn't really ask all that much and dd liked it at first.  After 3 weeks, we changed to her playing on starfall.com, randomly letting her pick letters to learn, reading stories of her choosing (and a few of mine), playing games like Memory, various arts and crafts, and working with the Math for Youngers suggestions on rightstartmath.com.  We've also taken the time to answer questions honestly and as on her level as possible (I'm pregnant, so 3.5 year olds are very curious!). 

Even if she were older and we were recording our "homeschooling" days, it's amazing all that she's covered this year, at her own pace and choosing!

Happy momma and natural birth, homeschooling, and ERF advocate!
5BMom
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Charlotte Mason was a HUGE FAIL for us. I wanted to love it but the habits, bible, artist study and music study, and approach to LA were not a fit. Even the Handbook of Nature was not a fit. Within CM, we tried Winter Promise, which was an big monetary fail. It just didn't work all the way around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM

There has been a lot of things we have tried & ended up not liking!

oredeb
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:38 AM

not yet

awilliams77
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh yeah. Online charter school. Basically ps at home. Blech. That is NOT for us. I can see how it could be a good transition from ps to home for older students, but none of my kids have ever attended a traditional school.
4quivers
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM

PHONICS!  As a whole subject!!  Worked great with DS 1 failed miserably with DS 2. DS 3 is learning wonderfully by sight reading, and DS 4 will simply have to follow along!

5BMom
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:18 PM
My DS is a phonics kid and DD is a sight word blended with a little phonics kid, so I hear you!!!

Quoting 4quivers:

PHONICS!  As a whole subject!!  Worked great with DS 1 failed miserably with DS 2. DS 3 is learning wonderfully by sight reading, and DS 4 will simply have to follow along!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsHubler
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM
I haven't found anything that doesnt work for us yet!
wright1212
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM

YES, just last week in fact. I like eclectic homeschool almost like unschooling. I like going by their interest but always doing cross curriculum so math and reading daily. WELL DD doesnt respond well to that, I started a strict schedule and have now start more drill sergent like and she is going GREAT. Its so not me, but I have do what is best for her! I also tried a 'well trained mind' reading program that failed.

poohbear1183
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I tried teaching science from a science book but we started that in teh summer and the first lesson was about leaf rubings and there was no leaves to be found, so I put that away for now. Also, I used Horizons for K math, and after about 40 lessons I got rid of it. I did not like how it presented things and how it would present new things before mastering others. hannah does better with learning one new concept at a time rather than several. So for now, I have been printing off sheets from a site called softschools.com and next month I will be getting a math program, probably scott foresman. but not really sure yet as I need to do some more research into this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)