Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Another unsupporting mom

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM
  • 15 Replies

The other day, my mom saw the homeschool catalog I had from ChristianBooks.com. She goes into how I shouldn't homeschool, because I'll have to keep up with the younger two children (having a third soon), and I barely keep up with folding laundry. How my aunt tried homeschooling her daughter for a year and it didn't work, and I'd have to follow the state of Ohio's curriculum or standards. Something like that. Of course, an hour or so later, she tells me how amazed she is at what my child knows and is learning. Could it be because I've been homeschooling her for 3 years?

My child is already reading well at 3, knows her shapes, colors, and a wee bit of foreign language. It's not much, but she learned some words in American Sign Language, Mandarin, and Spanish. She is learning to write and do basic math. Right now she is doing a puzzle of the USA and is very good at puzzles. She likes to build with Duplo blocks. She loves learning. So how exactly am I not qualified to homeschool my children?

I looked up the info for homeschooling in Ohio, and I did not find anything that states we must follow state standards or curriculum. Perhaps it is different for formal education in public or private school? BTW, my mom is a certified master teacher and is not much of a fan of homeschooling. However, my dad and my stepmom thinks it's great. :)

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Stay strong mama !!! There is always going to be someone uninformed person.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

It is such a foreign idea to most people that they have to make up their own fabricated info to make it sounds as though they know what they are talking about when in fact they know nothing!

WifeMomStudent
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:28 PM
It sounds like you are doing a fabulous job already! She sounds like a very bright girl
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I homeschool in Ohio. 8) The law she may be referring too is one that state's we have to teach 8 particular subjects UNLESS for whatever reason we don't want, too. LOL Don't her get you down, you are doing great! My family hates my homeschooling. 8(

LaurainMT
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Dear firefay,

Oh!  I feel for you!  My mother was violently against homeschooling even before we had children.  I don't know where the bias comes from, but it's so difficult to go against the grain when your family is involved.  It's much easier to have them behind you all the way. 

My mother, however, has become a convert.  We live in different states and so she only sees my children several times a year.  But what she hears about our school life excites her.  There is so much out there these days for homeschoolers, online and through the community.  We do our science through an online course taught by a former NASA rocket scientist and our kids are taking computer programing courses from our local university. 

You MUST do what you know is best for your kids.  Frankly, I think I could keep my kids at home without much school structure and they'd come out better  than 90% of their public schooled peers. So much of their education has to to with who you are and what you want to instill in your children. 

Our kids do more community service than most kids twice their age (they're 11 and 12).  They have good manners, they are extremely social.  In fact, they have too much extracurricular stuff going on!  Between 4H and swim team and soccer....  Good grief, there is so much to do and so much to learn. 

Your mother will become a convert.  Mine did.  It amazed me.  My older sister lives in the wealthiest area of the country.  Her neighborhood high school is always #1-5 in the top public high schools in the country.  but my kids are excelling beyond my sister's kids.  In ways that will mean something when they are adults.  Being able to speak to anyone while looking them in the eye and smiling, being compassionate to the less fortunate, being used to kids/adults of all ages because they aren't stuck in a classroom all day with kids their own age. 

You will never regret pouring yourself into your kids.  You would much rather have your imprint on them rather than todays' society, wouldn't you?

Plus, there's a ton of fun ways to school at home.  I've posted some of them on my blog.  Take a look if you're interested.  www.freedomathomeandschool.blogspot.com  Homeschooling is the best thing we've done for our family.

Be sure to check out and JOIN the Home School Legal Defense Association.  www.hslda.org

Much love and good luck!!!

Laura

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM
I will reply more in the am. I'm in Ohio, no required curric, just certain subjects you "have" to teach. Super easy really ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
firefay
by Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:55 PM
The funny thing is my mom keeps giving us material for enrichment. This includes at least two books on parts of speech and 12 workbooks for kindergarten and first grade.
oredeb
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM

wow fantastic!! tell her to keep it coming! maybe she feels homeschooling as a threat to all public school teachers, so shes just gotta speak against it, or maybe shes making sure you really really wana do it!   and her way of encouragement? maybe not!hahah

Quoting firefay:

The funny thing is my mom keeps giving us material for enrichment. This includes at least two books on parts of speech and 12 workbooks for kindergarten and first grade.

firefay
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Where can I find the info on state requirements? We are in Ohio now, but DH wants to move to Tennessee.

PEEK05
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I'm sure my mom will be unsupportive when she knows my children won't be entering traditional school of any kind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN