Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Another unsupporting mom

Posted by   + Show Post

The other day, my mom saw the homeschool catalog I had from ChristianBooks.com. She goes into how I shouldn't homeschool, because I'll have to keep up with the younger two children (having a third soon), and I barely keep up with folding laundry. How my aunt tried homeschooling her daughter for a year and it didn't work, and I'd have to follow the state of Ohio's curriculum or standards. Something like that. Of course, an hour or so later, she tells me how amazed she is at what my child knows and is learning. Could it be because I've been homeschooling her for 3 years?

My child is already reading well at 3, knows her shapes, colors, and a wee bit of foreign language. It's not much, but she learned some words in American Sign Language, Mandarin, and Spanish. She is learning to write and do basic math. Right now she is doing a puzzle of the USA and is very good at puzzles. She likes to build with Duplo blocks. She loves learning. So how exactly am I not qualified to homeschool my children?

I looked up the info for homeschooling in Ohio, and I did not find anything that states we must follow state standards or curriculum. Perhaps it is different for formal education in public or private school? BTW, my mom is a certified master teacher and is not much of a fan of homeschooling. However, my dad and my stepmom thinks it's great. :)

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM
Replies (11-15):
snowangel1979
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Lol my mom is probably going to hit the fan when we start. She's not 100% against it, she thinks the virtual schools when they are in high school is not that bad of an idea because of how crazy some of these kids are nowadays. I'm sure there will be some how I'm going to screw up my son quotes though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM

This should give you what you need!

http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

Quoting firefay:

Where can I find the info on state requirements? We are in Ohio now, but DH wants to move to Tennessee.

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:31 PM
My mom also works in the schools and isn't supportive. She says she is... But she's not
awilliams77
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Wow. Myparents actually homeschooled me from 10th grade til graduation back in the 80's when it was all very new in NC. So, they are generally supportive. Some of my ps teacher aunts on my dad's side were skeptical, but came around w/in 24 hrs of being around our kids at a family reunion years ago. They don't live nearby, so I don't care what they think anyway!
lfisher17
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM

You sound like you doing an awesome job!!! I know how you feel my grandmother let me know I would screw my son up and he would be behind not to mention not knowing how to get along with other children as soon as I let it out I'm homeschooling in the fall. It doesn't matter to her that we will be part of a homeschool group and he plays sports and is around lots of children at school and the fact that we have some of the worse school in a state that the schools suck. I say stand your ground only you know what is best for your child but I do know the doubt they can put in your mind!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN