Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

State Requirements and Making Your Own Unit Studies

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:54 PM
  • 8 Replies

I live in Ohio and am about to start homeschooling my 5 year old. From what I understand, we have to inform the superindendent of what we're going to be teaching and what curriculum we're going to be using. I was thinking of using curriculum for math and English, but maybe branch out a little bit for science and social studies. I'm not really sure how to go about recording everything. What if I want to use some of the websites that have worksheets, or I find something else online?

I think this is the part that freaks me out about homeschooling the most: making sure I do everything right with the rules of my state.

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lucsch
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:00 AM

This is a case where using a boxed curriculum may help you. Then you may add and change things a bit to fit your needs, but it will make the "powers that be" happy.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this

Many people 'copy' the table of contents in their curriculum as their list of what they will be learning. In Ohio, you aren't getting approval for your choices, you are simply telling them what you think you might learn about. I have yet to follow the plan I tell them and this is year 4 for me. LOL

I do know some people that even write one sentence, "My child will learn whatever I feel s/he needs to learn this year." I think doing that is just asking for trouble even though it makes me giggle a little. LOL

oredeb
by debbie on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM

just put a list of books you use, or think your gona use!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM
I'm in Ohio. I basically just gave a run down of the curriculums I thought I'd use. They don't need to know everything, just the main basics. For example, I said Saxon for math, real science oddyssey for science, various books for reading, classics for literature, handwriting without tears for handwriting, all about spelling for spelling, story of the world for history.
If I was doing unit studies I would probably put "various library books covering (time period) for history" etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovepotato
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Thanks guys! I know we're going to use some kind of boxed curriculum for math and English, but I think it would be kind of fun to do something on our own for science and social studies. I wasn't sure if it was ok to just put "books from the library" or a couple specific books or websites. I know I'm probably overthinking things. I have a friend who homeschools, and she gave me the actual paperwork she sent to the school district for her son's 2nd grade year. She only has boxed curriculum though.

I think I've become a little obsessed with this whole homeschooling thing lol.

Mem- I don't think I have the guts to put something like that down, but it is pretty funny :D. I'm the kind of person who researchs like crazy but doesn't follow through on a lot of stuff. I want to make sure I have enough. I think I'm stressing myself out :)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I would do what seems to be the general theme here...just write down what you have intentions of doing and just do the best you can after that.  You can't stress too much about this kind of stuff or you just take away the enjoyment everyone gets from home schooling. You will be able to do this just fine. We all have faith in you.  Now you have faith in yourself.   :) 

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM

You will do a great job.  You know how I know?  The fact that you are freaked out tells me how much you care. With that you will learn the rest.

• As for state laws and record keeping, each State is different.  I recommend getting in touch with your State Home School Association.  Most will help you find a group of home educators near you so they can mentor you, and you in turn you will eventually mentor someone else starting out.  Here is a link to two possible Home School Associations in Ohio.
  • I am a work shop leader at home school Conventions, and also give workshops to teachers at local colleges.  Many home educators start out clinging to the Conventional method of teaching because they are afraid they will otherwise miss something.  But eventually they learn that home school is not the class room, and that is what makes it so much better.
  • There are several method's used by home educators.  I personally like the eclectic one because it allows me flexibility (different learning styles, my schedule, ext).  It also like it because I can create most of my curriculum for free from real life experiences.  When I do invest in curriculum, I prefer that which is created by home educators...it works so much better. 
  • As a workshop leader, I get asked a lot of questions.  So I put together a web page to answer most of the common questions: Following is an article about the various methods used by home educators with links to resources.  It even gives you a link that explains how to create your own free lesson plans,  grade level requirements and more. How To Home School (while you are there read our reviews)

Just for inspiration:

Mrs.Kg8500
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)