Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When did you first hear about Homeschooling?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM
  • 13 Replies

did you think it was for you then?

were your looking for another way of getting your kids educated?

what did you think about homeschooling when you first heard about it?

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:32 AM

The first time I heard about it as an adult was from a friend that told me about it!

did you think it was for you then? At first I wasn't sure I could do it because my son has Autism & I had been convinced by the PS that you needed a lot of training to work with kids with Autism.

were your looking for another way of getting your kids educated? Yes I was! My son was being bullied in school & the teachers would do nothing to help him & he was the one always getting in trouble not the bully's.

what did you think about homeschooling when you first heard about it? I loved the idea of it! I had hated school & always hated sending my son to it, so learning that this was an option for him & my other kids was a blessing!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Hmmm...trying to think of how I first heard about it...I think it was in chat on another. Forum we had several homeschooling moms.

I never dreamed I would homeschool. I never hear about it before kids. However, when DS2 was preschool age and having problems with me teaching him, I knew he wouldn't be a good fit for public school and we couldn't afford private so I was searching for options.

I put him in public for 2 years and it did so much damage. It took 4 years homeschooling before he would even consider returning to a class setting for guitar lessons and art.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting oredeb:

did you think it was for you then? From my DH, he was home-schooled.

were your looking for another way of getting your kids educated? DH brought it up as a possible route to take before our first was even born. At first I was resistant but the older they got the more I really wanted to do it for them.

what did you think about homeschooling when you first heard about it? I thought it I would never be able to do it and that I wanted my kids to go to school so I could get a break. Turns out I ended up wanting the exact opposite. =D

sreichelt26
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

LONG time ago - I had friends growing up who were homeschooled and I always thought it was so cool. As I got older and was thinking more in terms of MY kids, I realized that I wanted to have more control of their education since I'm constantly aware of the breakdown of public education (we have lots of teachers in the family) and I didn't want to do private school (I went...not happening).

Shortly after dd was born (about a year ago) I was trying to figure out how I wanted to go about homeschooling so I had a game plan ahead of time. That's when I stumbled across unschooling through Sandra Dodd's site and it clicked - this is what I was looking for. Dh and I have had SO many conversations over the years about how we learn so much better doing our own research on subjects we are personally interested in. We already practice peaceful/mindful parenting, and I knew that this was for us. Plus, I already interact with my daughter this way.

So I'm incredibly excited for the adventure that awaits us as our family grows and we all learn together :)

AmyG1976
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM

i went to dr ed with a homeschooled kid at 16. My lil sister was homeschooled for highschool when I was 24, my kid was 5 at the time. I always just knew it was for me but was too scared to do it till a few years ago...

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~A wife of 14 years to B mommy of 16 years to J, 11 year old D, 9 year old M, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks J 5 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

awilliams77
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM
I heard about it when our family went to visit a family that homeschooled. This was around 1983, I think. I was hs the last few yrs of high school, graduating at 16 in 1986. So, we always kept it in mind for any children we'd have. Dh went to catholic school k-8, then public high school. I went to ps for k-1, then private school 3-9, then hs.
katzmeow726
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I knew about it when I was in middle school, because I asked my parents to do it (was being bullied).  But for a long while, the idea of it was something I often vented about lol.  I believed all the negative stereotypes about it.  

Then I had my own kids.  And even thought they aren't even 3 yet, DH and I had been agonizing over education.  The public schools here are absolutely horrible, and a move is not likely in the near future. Even then, we really don't like where public schools in general are heading.

And then private schools came up. I automatically sent up red flags.  I was bullied relentlessly at a private school.  And if our children are going to have our faith included in a curriculum, we want to be the ones to teach them.  So private schools seemed a bad choice as well.

THen one day at the Gyno's (sounds like the opening to a bad joke, doesn't it?) I met a homeschooling mom.  I was amazed at how bright her kids were.  The discussion turned to education, and how they homeschooled.  It's like a light went off in my head.

Dh and I began to really research it and learn more, and the decision was an easy one.  Homeschool was the way to go for us! 

Mellissa1990
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:24 AM

I just always knew I would home school.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Quoting oredeb:

did you think it was for you then? ~~ I was 14 years old when Ifirst did home school.  I was in a private school and wasn't getting the help I needed so I quit and schooled myself for awhile.  Then I ended up in public school for the last 2 years until graduation.  I knew that I would home school my kids when I got married and had kids.

were your looking for another way of getting your kids educated? ~~ Never.

what did you think about homeschooling when you first heard about it?  ~~ I loved it.  I could do as much as I wanted to without being told I was getting too far ahead of anyone else.  So when my kids thought they wanted to be public schooled, didn't understand how truly ignorant kids become from being public schooled, until they were older and had met some kids from the area that went to public school.  They then had an understanding that you only get from personal exoerience. Now they are glad they have never been public schooled. 

Mrs.Kg8500
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM
My husband was homeschooled and loved it so homeschooling for us was a great idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)