Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When did you first hear about Homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

did you think it was for you then?

were your looking for another way of getting your kids educated?

what did you think about homeschooling when you first heard about it?

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Replies (11-13):
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I first came across it while looking for ways to help my gifted 1st grade dd behave better in school.  She was so bored and fidgety and it was affecting her grades.  I happened upon a homeschooled family's blog and was fascinated.  I bookmarked it and then found more blogs and websites to read.  

A couple of months later, I found out that dd tested into this prestigious gifted academy on the other end of town.  I thought that would be the answer.  She loved it, but after 1.5 years there, I could see a change in her.  She just didn't enjoy learning anymore.  She was indifferent to everything and only liked school because of her friends.  It seemed that her school (whether that school or a combination of all her schools) sucked all the fun out of learning and squelched my dd's vibrant enthusiasm.

I revisted all my homeschooling sites and presented the option to dd.  After thinking about it for 2 weeks, she told me she was ready to homeschool.  I gave the school notice on a Tuesday and her last day was that Friday.  

It was frightening at first.  I didn't know any who homeschooled and was convinced I was the only one in my city.  After a few months, I knew this was the right path - and I did end up finding a great bunch of local homeschoolers.

Angela

dd(18) Freshman in college, dd(15) Sophomore at the (real) Fame school,                                               ds(11) 5th Grade homeschooler

Visit my Blog

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Hmmm. IDK about when i first heard about it. I began researching when my oldest was a toddler. From day 1 i loved the idea.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I'm not sure when I first heard about it, but I first began to really think about it when Missie was in Kinder at PS.

Yes, I was getting tired of the public schooled environment and all the silly regulations. It took me getting fed up the next year to take the plunge.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN