Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

my daughter said

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM
  • 13 Replies
She doesn't want to homeschool. I'm crushed and not sure how to react to that. She said its too hard and doesn't want me to be her teacher. She's four so um gonna do it anyway, but I need some assurance please!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moma3boyz
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Has someone said anything to her about school that maybe had caught her interest? Or family that attends school? The only other thing I can think of is that she maybe wants to learn differently somehow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM
3 moms liked this

If it's too hard, perhaps she is not ready yet. She is only four years old. Are you possibly expecting too much from her?

oredeb
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM

hahahahah(sorry for laughing, but ive heard this so much!) shes 4 she doenst know her own mind ! your her mom and what you says goes! dont let her push your buttons!

what kinda work are you doing with her now? peek has a point there

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Sounds like it might be time to take a step back. How much sit down work are you doing with her on a daily basis?

We didn't start with sit down work until they were at a 1st grade level. Everything before that was learning through play and they learned so much from it.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Dose she have friends that go to PS?

My DD when she was younger wanted to go to PS because she remembered her older brother going & she wanted to be like him even though he didn't go to PS anymore. Now you couldn't pay her to go to PS (she is almost 9 now).

Yuriko_chan
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Actually we do something from a workbook maybe once a month lol. The rest of the time is just regular housework and play time. All her friends go to school. We don't know any kids her age that homeschool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I would say that is where all that is coming from! She thinks she is missing out on something her friends are getting to do!

Quoting Yuriko_chan:

Actually we do something from a workbook maybe once a month lol. The rest of the time is just regular housework and play time. All her friends go to school. We don't know any kids her age that homeschool.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:56 PM

What you might want to try doing is.. doing a little of the kind of school work she thinks she is missing out on by not going to public school and see how she takes to it.   If she likes it, incorporate it into what you already do to teach her and if she doesn't, then just tell her that is what is being taught in public school and that is why she gets to stay at home with you. 

By the way, she is just trying out her boundaries.  You are the mom and the one who is in charge.  If and when she is old enough to make up her mind about schooling and still wants to go to public school, then she should have a say about where she goes.  But not before she is able to decipher what it is about home schooling she really doesn't like and what it is about public schooling she does like.  She couldn't possibly know these answers just yet.  Be patient.   :) 

awilliams77
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Ahhhh, she doesn't know what hs is like yet! Is there a MOPS group in your area? Sometimes they have a program for hs students going at the same time. Or, she could get social/structured time with other kiddos 2x a month there. Or, go ahead and join a hs group. Then she can meet other kids that hs and get a taste for it. Good for you not to push academics at this age. You've got years ahead for that sort of thing!
Yuriko_chan
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Thanks ladies:) I really do need to see if there's a hs group here. There is a mops group, but I have never been. I don't even know what its all about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)