Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How did you dicide to HS?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM
  • 15 Replies

Im thinking about home schooling my son, When i was in public school, I went from an A-B student from GA to a D-F school in Miami, I was in 5 grade and it was awful. When my mom did home schooling it was ok, but she made a lot of mistakes that messed up me and one of my sisters education on some Subjects that affect us to this day, I want the best for my son, hes only 1 but i want to start making the decision now. Do you follow a curriculum? I know you can do school online, do you do that or do you combine them?  confused

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awilliams77
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM
We did Connections Academy online charter school for the first part of the 2009 school yr. My students were in grade 4,9, and 11. Hated it. I can see where it would be a good transition for ps students going to hs. We tend to do unit studies in elementary, some textbooks, some library books, field trips and real life experiences. I guess you'd call it eclectic bordering on unschooling. There are many ways to hs!
crystalplus1
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:17 PM

What is unschooling?

Quoting awilliams77:

We did Connections Academy online charter school for the first part of the 2009 school yr. My students were in grade 4,9, and 11. Hated it. I can see where it would be a good transition for ps students going to hs. We tend to do unit studies in elementary, some textbooks, some library books, field trips and real life experiences. I guess you'd call it eclectic bordering on unschooling. There are many ways to hs!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM

We write our own curriculum and when all the kids were/are young, I would/will use the internet to find some sites that would offer fee printables and I would go from there. 

awilliams77
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Unschooling has many definitions- can be relaxed, child-led learning based on their interests and passions. Google it, but only if you have time to read a lot! ;) there are actually some good interviews on youtube.
gacgbaker
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:51 AM

I'm still debating the decision, but leaning towards doing it when my son hits 7th grade (the school he is in now goes to 6th, and we love the school)- if we do, I think I will probably pull different curriculum from different sources, I also tend to lean towards a unit concept for things.  During the summer I've gotten many resources, workbooks, and other tools to use with the kids to prep them for school next year- so I'm kinda testing the waters by doing a small amount this summer. 

Good luck with your decision, I know it's not an easy one!

oredeb
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM

hi crystal! how are you and your sister messed up?

i dont follow a curr, dont do school online, i make my own curr up

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:58 AM

My daughter had health problems that prevented her from being able attend ps regularly.  My son was bullied in class.  When it's boiled down that's why we decided to homeschool.  We use Christian Light Education as well as some Calvert and an online program. 

It is a big decision, but I've ran across very few who have ever regretted it. 

plclemo
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Medical problems this year forced us to start home schooling in early April.  Her school has provided us with textbooks and will be sending tests.

crystalplus1
by Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM

After our parents got a divorce it was just mom teaching us, and shes no good at math. I have a really hard time with most math.

Quoting oredeb:

hi crystal! how are you and your sister messed up?

i dont follow a curr, dont do school online, i make my own curr up

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Hmm, well we've always hs'ed. I don't purchase a curriculm, but design my own to fit each of my childrens needs. I dropped out of school my junior year of high school convinced i was an idiot. I home educated then went onto college and shocked everyone (inc. myself) by getting degrees in physics and geology. When my 1st was born i didnt want him in a system that EVERYONE acknowledges is failing, and i didn't want him to be told he was too stupid to learn. So HS was a no brainer for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN