Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Im thinking about home schooling my son, When i was in public school, I went from an A-B student from GA to a D-F school in Miami, I was in 5 grade and it was awful. When my mom did home schooling it was ok, but she made a lot of mistakes that messed up me and one of my sisters education on some Subjects that affect us to this day, I want the best for my son, hes only 1 but i want to start making the decision now. Do you follow a curriculum? I know you can do school online, do you do that or do you combine them?  confused

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Replies (11-15):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 21, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Quoting crystalplus1:

I prefer the term Child Led learng. Its where the child takes the initiative and controls large portions of what they will learn. Like my son will ask to learn about dinosaurs and i will find a billion resources and he can pick which ones he would like to use.
MessedUpMama
by Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 6:10 PM
I'm going to high jack this thread a little bit. I'm in the process of getting my DS into Connections Academy rigt now. I am doing it this way because I'm afraid he will miss something he needs to know, or will not be able to pass the tests the State needs to determine progress. I'd love to "do it myself" but I am not sure I would get it right. We can't afford a curriculum. So my question for those of you who create your own curriculum, how do you know you covering everything? I guess I need more structure than that appears to have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TeaHound
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I went to private Christian school and public school (so they were out b/c both are worse now than when I went).

Dh went to Catholic school; that was REALLY out.

I want my kids with me all the time and they're able to work however they need to (faster or slower than the school system).  I know what they're being taught.

I use A Beka for history and science and trying it for middle school lit/English this year.  I use Spectrum for spelling and langage arts thru sixth grade.  I use Total or Complete for math through middle school.  I think that when my kids hit high school, I'm probably going to use all A Beka material just b/c it's simpler and I can use their accredited program.

motherganey5
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Crystalplus1....Pray a lot...Homeschooling wasn't what I ever wanted to do but I felt the call to do so by God.  I believe that it is what He want(ed) for our children..I believe from the very beginning we all homeschool..There are so many ways in our every day life that we "teach" our children.  So rememeber to take every advantage to teach. 

I have used ABeka and really liked it..I am looking at Apologia for the Fall.  I have never used an online program. Find a support group to fellowship with on a regular basis..I have learned that this is so important...Do not isolate yourself.

Susan

MrsSamMerlotte
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:34 PM
Im curious too. I want to hs my 6 year old this upcoming year and I keep having doubts.

Quoting MessedUpMama:

I'm going to high jack this thread a little bit. I'm in the process of getting my DS into Connections Academy rigt now. I am doing it this way because I'm afraid he will miss something he needs to know, or will not be able to pass the tests the State needs to determine progress. I'd love to "do it myself" but I am not sure I would get it right. We can't afford a curriculum. So my question for those of you who create your own curriculum, how do you know you covering everything? I guess I need more structure than that appears to have.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)