Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello! My name's Kristin. I have 3 children: Travis (10), Emily (8) and Lindsay (7).  I homeschool the oldest and the youngest right now and am considering starting with Emily as well.  I never know what to say in these introductions, so...ask :)

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Welcome! Why did you decide to start hsing?

I have four kids. !0,7,2 and 7 months

bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Welcome!  I have 2 kids, 8 and 3 years old.

oredeb
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:47 PM

hi and welcome kristin!! yes intros are hard to fill out!

what are you using to teach with?

how do the kids like hsing?

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Welcome!

VincyntsMommie
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

welcome   how are you

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Thank you and great questions!  I use a mixture of curriculum - Christian Light for my son and Calvert for my daughter. They both also use the online Compass Learning Odyssey.  They love homeschooling and neither wants to go back to public school.  My middle child has been asking as well but that's a long story for another time.

Our road to homeschooling has been an interesting one.  We started when my son was going into Kindergarden. We had recently moved to TN and honestly had never been exposed to hs before.  We knew we were moving the following year and didn't want him to be pulled out of school after just a year (I went to many schools when I was younger and never wanted that for my kids..if I only knew!!) and we didnt' really want him in the public school system in Memphis.  I had friends who homeschooled and that seemed like a good avenue for the year.  So we did.  Kindergarden was great but it was never intended to be long term.  We moved back to Oregon and enrolled him in public school for 1st grade.

In 1st grade he was bored to tears.  He was so far ahead of his class that he spent his time helping the other kids with their work.  He was struggling with some bullying issues and the school was in a old neighborhood with tiny streets and there were near accidents every single day.  Maybe I was looking for excuses, I don't know, but I pulled him in November and resumed homeschooling.  2nd grade we homeschooled as well, but life happened in a big way.  My marriage was crumbling and saving it took priority over everything, including - unfortunately - school.  I knew that I was failing him and had to look for another option, so that spring I checked out some of the private schools in town.  He did have to redo 2nd grade but he is a July baby and small, so it wasn't a big deal.  He loved the school and did really well there.  Unfortunately by 3rd grade, we had 3 children to enroll and even with the great scholarships they gave us, we simply couldn't afford it any more so we made the decision to put the kids in public school.

First year in ps, my son was in 3rd grade and my daughters in 1st and Kindergarden.  My oldest two did great, but they were both way behind in school (even though they had been at the top of the class at the private school).  He caught up quickly and she is still getting there, though much improved. My youngest had trouble in Kindergarden with her health.  She's always had a weaker immune system, but by February she had missed 6 weeks of school, so we decided to pull her out and resume homeschooling.  Scary thought after having failed the first time with my son.  She has chronic pain now and truly could not make it a full day in public school.

So the beginning of this year, Lindsay's in 1st grade at home, Emily (2nd) and Travis (4th)  are in public school.  Lindsay does what she can do, but the pain is distracting.  We're getting through it as best as we can and will probably do year round schooling just so she can be where she needs to be.  Two months ago we pulled my son from ps as well.  He had been struggling since December with his work and his teacher was not helping.  Turns out he was being bullied IN THE CLASSROOM to the point where he could not concentrate on getting his work done.  That wasn't handled well either, so he is at home as well.  He's doing really well.  It took some adjusting but he's starting to get into the rhythm of things. We'll let him decide what to do next year. 

This certainly is not what I had always envisioned for my kids.  It's been a long and twisted road, but I have found that what works at one point isn't going to be what works later on.  It might not be for everyone and it certainly hasn't been ideal or easy, but for now this is what is working.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Sorry! Didn't realize how long that was going to be!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)