Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When do you allow calculators?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM
  • 5 Replies

I'm starting to think Missie should start using them, soon.

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
oredeb
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:57 AM

we did a unit on them when the oldest was about 6th grade so everyone would know at least how to use them, they only used them now if its impossible to do anything else, they'd rather figure it out and know how to do it. i do encourage them to use them when they have math lessons that theyve mastered, and they have problems left do do, they use the calculator for whats left- keeps them up on using a calculator, does that make sense?

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

My oldest was using them in PS when I pulled him out to homeschool. My younger 2 have had their own for a few years now they think it is so much fun to use them! They know how to do math with out them as well, most of the time they only use them when playing store.

BusCaptainMama
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM
I've been wondering that, too. My daughter is in Algebra I - I used one all the time by then (I was in PS), I haven't let her yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytobooger
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM

my son is only 6 but LOVES learning, anyway he does not use one with school work, but dad brought one home from work for him to play with and he loves it, at first i figured it would interfer with school or he would not understand it, but no. he understands the plus and minus and now is interested in multiplying, wich i have been wondering when to introduce that also. (he is really great with numbers, now we are on a secoond grade math or more) anyway i think to indroduce them to it for play is great, they are learning while playing, they will learn functions, and probably memorize as well.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM

All of my kids know how to use them but I don't permit them to be used during school unless they are doing conversion problems.  After school, they can use them all they want to. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN