Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love it or leave it: Saxon Math?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:45 AM
  • 10 Replies

giving heartOR devil

Do you love Saxon math for your kids- or do you wish you would have left them the store?  What kind of math curriculum have you tried?  

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awilliams77
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:01 AM
We've mostly used saxon. It gets the job done, but we don't love it. Used SoS math one yr. Eh.
carolkey74
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:04 AM
My son loves it, my daughter hates it. My daughter is using Kenitec Math this year, and she's doing very well. We've also used Life of Fred. We love it, but I wish it had more review.
msmed
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

We use Teaching Textbooks for Math. It contains CDs with lectures & detailed explanations & grades itself.  We like it but we had to go a year ahead to equal most other Math programs' grade level.

oredeb
by debbie on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM

i love it! ive used it for 24 years! and still use it

the kids started on it when they were about 4th grade before that we used rod and staff or what ever i made up

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:44 PM
I go back and forth. I never "love" it, but in the beginning (when I tried to do the entire lesson including the meeting, etc) I hated it. Now, it's not bad, but can be a lot of prep and material gathering sometimes.
That being said, I'd love to find a math we *do* love. And a science. And a history.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BusCaptainMama
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM
I've only tried it with my oldest daughter. She started in Algebra 1/2, now in Algebra 1. She absolutely LOVES it. She's always been a struggling learner in math - now she excels...she just seems to 'get it' now!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
duttonwood
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:45 AM

We've used saxon math for the past year and don't like it. To much prep and it was hard for me (us) to understand so that we could help our kids  when they had trouble understanding it. I'm trying to find a good math curriculum.

Danielle163
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:39 AM

DD used Saxon when she was in public school and we used it for the first year we homeschooled. It is ok. A lot of drill/repetition, some kids need that. I felt though, that DD was not being challenged enough. For this year (DD's 3rd grade ) we switched to Singapore coupled with Teaching Textbooks. I am very satisfied with both. Seems to be getting the job done-LOL

TeaHound
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I did saxon math in high school and liked it.

I'm using "Complete" and "Total" work books right now.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Leave it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)