Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do's and don'ts...what is your list?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM
  • 11 Replies

I thought it would be fun if we could all post a quick list of some of our homeschooling Do's and Don'ts. This is meant to be fun and maybe helpful to those that are new.

My homeschooling Do's:

1.Enjoy your kids. 2.Do not be a slave to the curriculum or teacher's guide. 3.Ask lots of questions to other homeschool moms.

My homeschooling Don'ts

1.DON'T GIVE UP : ) 2.Don't compare your kids to eachother or to other kids. 3.Avoid the temptation of changing materials too often based on the lastest and greatest homeschooling trend....if it 'aint broke don't try to fix it.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Do grab your sense of humor with both hands and maybe your feet, too. LOL Some days you have you just have to laugh, or you might cry.

Don't get tangled in the small stuff. If your 6yo writes all their S's backwards, gently correct, then, let it go. They won't still be doing it when they are 20.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Do give 2 compliments for every criticism you give to the child.

Moma3boyz
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Dont listen to the negative people that tell you that you are harming your child be keeping them home. Dont be afraid to take a day or two of if you or your kids need to. Dont be afraid to use several grade levels of materials and dont assume that just because your first child did great in a subject or with a curriculum that all of them will.

Do have fun. I find that if I have fun with a lesson the kids have fun to. Do remember that kids dont all fit in the same "cookie cutter". Do remember to praise their efforts not just a perfect paper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Do's-

enjoy having your kids at home

play with them

teach them to sing, dance,

lots of hands on learning

nature study

arts and crafts

follow your own path

live outside the box!

make good memories for them

let them enjoy there childhood

teach them to clean, cook , how to spend money

punish them when its needed

read to them even when older

hug em everyday

equip them for adulthood

make sure the boys know how to cook and clean etc

and the girls know how to change a tire, oil, etc

talk to them all the time, even those days when they seem down or mad

Dont-

sit at a table or desk all day doing schooling

make them write over and over i will never shoot spitballs etc(or whatever they do)!

dont make them sit in their room as punishment or ground them

dont let them get away with a bad atitude

dont listen when someone saids you cant!

dont compare you kid(s) to other kids

aww i got a bunch more but better stop

bttrflyvld
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Do's- Tell you kids you love them,  Have fun along with your kids,  Play with them.

MrsSamMerlotte
by Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't be scared to put down the books and enjoy a nice day.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Do's:

Listen to your kids. Kids are naturally curious and born learners, we all too often muddy the waters with rules and weird expectations. If you listen you might be surprised at all your kids know and what they are interested in learning.

As others have said, have fun! Believe it or not learning can be enjoyable, we are just conditioned to seeing learning as boring and torturous.

Think outside of the box.

Dont's:

Think you have to copy the PS format in your home. If the PS systems way of learning was successful, then none of us would HS.

Be afraid of failure. There is no right or wrong way of parenting or learning. If something doesn't work then THAT was, in itself, a learning experience.

Be afraid to let your kids lose. I think one major problem with the world today is that we are pricing mediocrity. We no longer give our kids the tools to handle disappointment. Let me come in second place, or have a project bomb. Even through great disappointment, they are learning a valuable lesson.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KickButtMama:

Do's:

Listen to your kids. Kids are naturally curious and born learners, we all too often muddy the waters with rules and weird expectations. If you listen you might be surprised at all your kids know and what they are interested in learning.

As others have said, have fun! Believe it or not learning can be enjoyable, we are just conditioned to seeing learning as boring and torturous.

Think outside of the box.

Dont's:

Think you have to copy the PS format in your home. If the PS systems way of learning was successful, then none of us would HS.

Be afraid of failure. There is no right or wrong way of parenting or learning. If something doesn't work then THAT was, in itself, a learning experience.

Be afraid to let your kids lose. I think one major problem with the world today is that we are pricing mediocrity. We no longer give our kids the tools to handle disappointment. Let me come in second place, or have a project bomb. Even through great disappointment, they are learning a valuable lesson.

YES! Great list. So true what you said about when something doesn't work, then THAT was a ,learning experience. I agree, that "failures" should not defeat us, but they should be the things we draw knowledge from.

MomofSCMJJA
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 1:58 AM

DO:  1) Believe in what you are doing.  2) Be involved with a good homeschool support group. 3) Tailor your teaching style to your child's learning style. 4) Be willing to ask for help.  5) Have FUN!

DON'T:  1) Try to force your child into a mold.  2) Teach to the test. 3) Neglect the child's need for friends.  4) Fail to include physical activity.  5) Forget to do YOUR homework first!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)