Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Speech Issues?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:22 PM
  • 7 Replies
DS4 pronounces words fine sometimes and oddly others. He can say licorice perfectly and then later on say 'rickrish'. He says 'l' (and all his other letters perfectly when asked. I do find there are times I have to translate for him to strangers. Is this common? I did make an appointment to talk to the pedi about it on the 1st.

ETA: He saw the doctor for a cold last month and talked to the doctor and he, the doctor, didn't say anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SilentDraconia
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM
My youngest is having the same issues. Still trying to find a way to correct it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:58 AM

I don't think it would be bad to talk to the doctor, but that all sounds pretty normal to me.  

wright1212
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM

first, docs ive noticed will not LOOK for unspoken issues, meaning if you dont ask they wont tell. BUT between 4-6 final speech sounds should emerge. So those complicated letter blends such as RISH as you stated. My DD could not say beginning K sounds but ending?! So she was in speech for a year, and all better now. Besides actually going to therapy is to really try to figure out which sounds are hardest then break those sounds down. So many kids have a hard time with THR as in i am FREE years old instead of THREE years old. But working on similar sounds can help. So there, this, these, tree, throw. And really getting the tongue to do the right thing. So in THREE the tongue needs to come forward over teeth.

Good Luck!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Are there any letter sounds that he can not say at all? If he can make the sound, or very close to it, then I don' think it is a problem and you just need to say the word back, correctly and have him repeat it. If a few months go by of you correcting the same sounds and he stiull isn't doing it, I would be a little more concerned. I had a speach issue as a child and had four years of therapy.

My son is 7 and traded the problem your son hadm for the problem of not having front teeth to say 'ssss'. LOL

4quivers
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Articulation Developmental Norms Chart/ listed by the age they need to acquire it before therapy is recommended.

p,b,m,t,d,n,w,h and vowels by age 3>   k,g,ng, f,y  by age 3.5>  s,z by 4  >  sh,l, l-blends, s-blends by age 4.5

ch,j, and lateral lisps by age 5>  r and r-blends, v, th, and frontal lisps age is not indicated.

I worried like crazy.  For NO REASON!  Don't worry unless they can not pronounce within a year past these requirements!  Each child is different and we should accept that. A lot of times it's simply a misconception by the child.  ie. We can type a word correctly and think for a long time that it is NOT correct.  With so many new words coming on at once, it's easy to get confused between a licorice and a ricka dish!

Only helping to find "treatment" if treatment is necessary.

Mum of 4 boys 9,8,4 and 2

"Bless me, I couldn't get on at all without my flock of dear, noisy, naughty, harum-scarum little lads!!

Louisa May Alcott in "Little Men"

lucsch
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM

My dd was in speech for 3 years and still could use it.

Hers was a clear-cut case, though. At 4-1/2yo, she was only pronouncing vowels, rarely any consonants.

PP posted the schedule of expected letter sounds. Our therapist was only allowed by the school to work on sounds with my dd after she exceeded the age of mastery. So, we had to wait until 2nd grade to work on "r". It is still her problem sound, even after a year of working on it. She sounds rather British when speaking--we live in Indiana. LOL

bluevelvetKS
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM

That's perfectly normal! There are kids in kindergarten and first grade that are still having problems pronouncing "perfectly" but they eventually learn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)