Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you ever take your homeschool on the road?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:03 AM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just read about the Vogels a homeschooling family with twin 11 year old boys, who travels full time on their bicycles.  They have been all throughout the Americas, pedaling currently from the tip of Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to the tip of Ushuaia, Argentina. They reached their destination at the end of last month, cycling a total of 17,300 Miles to the end of the world. It took them 3 years. The boys, now almost 14, hold the Guinness World Record as the youngest people to cycle the length of the Americas.

My first thought was how do they afford it?  Let’s face it, finances always play a major role in taking on an adventure or doing things unconventionally. If homeschooling has taught us anything, it is that. Years ago, I would never have imagined living on one income and still enjoy life- and more so.

So in a way, what this family has chosen as their adventure is a lot like homeschooling. It’s taking a chance to go against the grain of society, and to challenge the expectation. We may not be cycling the globe at the moment but by taking the road less traveled in our children’s education, we are on a real adventure.

A family like the Vogels teaches us many things-

- that having a dream and believing you can accomplish it is the first step.

- having the courage to step away from what is considered normal to live your dream is  rewarding

- finding out you have the determination to make every one of your dreams come true priceless

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I would love to! There is a family that has a blog that dose it! I will ad the link!

http://kelly.halldorson.com/blog/

oredeb
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM

yep we'd travel if we had to

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I think that would be so much fun!

gacgbaker
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Quoting Pukalani79:

I think that would be so much fun!

Me too- I think kids learn so much more by seeing it all too!

nikkisuire
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

It has always been my biggest dream to do just that since we started homeschooling 6 yrs ago!  I want to be able to show my children the Grand Canyon, Statue of Liberty, Niagra Falls, Mount Rushmore (you get the idea)  and not just show them pictures in a book or off the internet. 

MrsHubler
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

This is my same goal with my daughter!

Quoting nikkisuire:

It has always been my biggest dream to do just that since we started homeschooling 6 yrs ago!  I want to be able to show my children the Grand Canyon, Statue of Liberty, Niagra Falls, Mount Rushmore (you get the idea)  and not just show them pictures in a book or off the internet. 

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Apr. 20, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Yes I surely will,we are going on vacation in December and they will be doing some homeschooling then,we can't really do really long road trips around the world, but every time hubby gets his vacation time at we will go explore something educational and fun,my hubby dream is to own a RV and do a lot of traveling one day..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4quivers
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM

OOOOOHHHH!  Goose bumps!  Dream!!!!  We dream of moving to South America.  We don't know a lick of Spanish except lo siento, no entiendo!  I'm sorry I don't understand, but we are working on it. 

It will all be a dream until we make it a reality! 

LOVED the post!

Mum of 4 boys 9,8,4 and 2

"Bless me, I couldn't get on at all without my flock of dear, noisy, naughty, harum-scarum little lads!!

Louisa May Alcott in "Little Men"

sunbaby77
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Absolutely!!!  Being able to travel is one of the benefits of homeschooling, and what better way to educate the kids?  

mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I wish we could just take up & travel. The kids would be learning so much with hands on things &  so would we! Only way that could happen is if DH didn't  have to work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)