Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you ever take your homeschool on the road?

Posted by   + Show Post

I just read about the Vogels a homeschooling family with twin 11 year old boys, who travels full time on their bicycles.  They have been all throughout the Americas, pedaling currently from the tip of Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to the tip of Ushuaia, Argentina. They reached their destination at the end of last month, cycling a total of 17,300 Miles to the end of the world. It took them 3 years. The boys, now almost 14, hold the Guinness World Record as the youngest people to cycle the length of the Americas.

My first thought was how do they afford it?  Let’s face it, finances always play a major role in taking on an adventure or doing things unconventionally. If homeschooling has taught us anything, it is that. Years ago, I would never have imagined living on one income and still enjoy life- and more so.

So in a way, what this family has chosen as their adventure is a lot like homeschooling. It’s taking a chance to go against the grain of society, and to challenge the expectation. We may not be cycling the globe at the moment but by taking the road less traveled in our children’s education, we are on a real adventure.

A family like the Vogels teaches us many things-

- that having a dream and believing you can accomplish it is the first step.

- having the courage to step away from what is considered normal to live your dream is  rewarding

- finding out you have the determination to make every one of your dreams come true priceless

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:03 AM
Replies (11-17):
Knightquester
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM

We would if my husbands job were one that involved travel or was flexible in a way where we could.  We occasionally will do some minor travel during the school year where we school the kids while on the road and out of town.  I would love to travel the world and homeschool, that'd be an amazing experience.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:19 PM
I would love to! I always said that if we ever won the lottery, the i would get a fancy rv and we'd just start driving all around the Americas!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I would love to take several long vacations, sure, but no, I would never force my kids to ride a bike like that. IMO, it couldn't have been healthy, phyisically and possibly, mentally. The things adults treasure aren't always what an 11 yo would treasure. 

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Yes! We'd love to RV
bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I would if I could, though not on a bicycle.

Lisse_2006
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I would love to travel and homeschool my son at the same time. I think he would learn so much and get so much out of it. :)

SilentE8
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:09 AM

We "travel" if you call moving travel. My DH is in the Army, and before that I was an archaeologist contracted by government agencies. We have moved into 14 different homes in 10 different towns in 3 different states in only 14 years. Homeschooling is one of the few stable things in our life! We have homeschooled for weeks in hotels, on the plains of Montana, driving across the country from MT to GA to WA, on the beaches of 2 different oceans and on and on. Sometimes hubby is deployed and the kids and I pack up to visit family wherever. We take our books and laptops wherever we go, and do fieldtrips to museums, national parks, and anywhere else we want. All of this is on a limited budget, but we take advantage of moving (on my boss's or the Army's dollar) to see the country. We are very good at eating cheap, finding hotel and camping deals, and finding cheap or free entertainment. Usually work pays for the gas. We also save all of DH's deployment pay and other "extra" money just for trips that aren't covered for work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN