Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Tourrettes symptons OCD?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM
  • 8 Replies

Ok, so I'm a huge enemy of labels on children and drugs, both pharmacuetical or otherwise.  So I may have an autistic one, an ADD one, ADHD, bi-polar, you name it;  I don't recognize it.  That point being said I am looking for a bit of "all natural" advice.:)

DS 9 has always been a bit odd.  Here's the rundown, basically by ages and stages.

3-4 lots of blinking( I didn't think anything of it, all boys in my family have an eye blinking thing, my dad even had to tape his eyes open for my wedding due to it's degenerative effects)

4-8 phases of pretending to wrap a belt around, finger twirls, arm movements, stutter stepping, so forth  (these are involuntary movements he says he just feels like he needs to do)

9 now we have audible noises, currently a hooting like an owl, or a german ch or hawk a loogie sound.

We currently work on acknowledgement (to know when he's doing it) and control.  Any other natural help out there.  Now that it's turned audio i'm worried about him being in baseball this summer. 

Please no pharmacuetical advice here, when I want a doctor's opinion, I'll ask mine  . . .lol

Mum of 4 boys 9,8,4 and 2

"Bless me, I couldn't get on at all without my flock of dear, noisy, naughty, harum-scarum little lads!!

Louisa May Alcott in "Little Men"

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I can't really help you much. I have OCD and choose not to medicate myself for other medical reasons. Being aware of it the movements and sounds isn't a problem after a point, soon he may not even be able to be anything but aware of it. It's not a fun way to live. To be completely honest, as someone who suffers from it, get him checked out. Early intervention can help so much and the amount of self esteem lost before it's under control is incredible.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:39 PM

There might be therapy that you can do that doesn't use drugs! I have sons that have Autism & I am totally against drugs for kids for things like that, so I know how you feel!

sparklebug86
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM

yea, we try not to drug our children when necessary however, have you taken him to a doctor just to be checked out and diagnosed so that you know what it truly is? A dr with an "O.D." title as opposed to "M.D." actually has more experience with the skeletal and neuro systems and they tend to focus on diet and lifestyle instead of medication. My daughter has lost all of her hair and none of the doctors are really sure why but, our new "O.D" has been very helpful in working to find an answer and natural treatments that fit into our lifestyle and wont harm her in the long run

Quoting usmom3:

There might be therapy that you can do that doesn't use drugs! I have sons that have Autism & I am totally against drugs for kids for things like that, so I know how you feel!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
4quivers
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Quoting sparklebug86:

yea, we try not to drug our children when necessary however, have you taken him to a doctor just to be checked out and diagnosed so that you know what it truly is? A dr with an "O.D." title as opposed to "M.D." actually has more experience with the skeletal and neuro systems and they tend to focus on diet and lifestyle instead of medication.

Thank you!  Pray tell, what does OD stand for, I can already assume there are none out here in the sticks, but I'd be interested anyway.  I know that diet has a lot to do with everything.  Too bad it's soo confusing!

Endo diet, paleo diet, diet, diet, diet!  We do avoid all "possible" triggers, i.e. dyes, canned goods, preservatives, caffeine, and too much sugar, thought the last one is tough!

"Bless me, I couldn't get on at all without my flock of dear, noisy, naughty, harum-scarum little lads!!

sparklebug86
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:39 PM

D.O. stands for Doctor of Osteopathy.

http://explorehealthcareers.org/en/issues/news/Article/194/So_what_exactly_does_a_DO_do/eurl.axd/3dc34f6423e6ab4cb46b5466c2c5e2e8

Many people also choose to remove Gluten from their diet which can be extremely hard but, works wonders for MANY ailments

Quoting 4quivers:

Quoting sparklebug86:

yea, we try not to drug our children when necessary however, have you taken him to a doctor just to be checked out and diagnosed so that you know what it truly is? A dr with an "O.D." title as opposed to "M.D." actually has more experience with the skeletal and neuro systems and they tend to focus on diet and lifestyle instead of medication.

Thank you!  Pray tell, what does OD stand for, I can already assume there are none out here in the sticks, but I'd be interested anyway.  I know that diet has a lot to do with everything.  Too bad it's soo confusing!

Endo diet, paleo diet, diet, diet, diet!  We do avoid all "possible" triggers, i.e. dyes, canned goods, preservatives, caffeine, and too much sugar, thought the last one is tough!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
4quivers
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Quoting sparklebug86:

Many people also choose to remove Gluten from their diet which can be extremely hard but, works wonders for MANY ailments

I just started learning about that.  It was listed on a tourette board so I guess now I'm going to look farther into it.  Of course, I just ordered 50 #'s of assorted "gluten" containing organic grains!!!!!  Oh well!  I've  decided to do a weekly allergy/trigger rotation experiment.   Every week cutting out dairy, then grains, then legumes and so forth.  Since we just ordered all these grains we'll start with refined sugar!  I was already going to cut back on that anyway!  Hopefully this will help me find some other triggers.  I did notice last night, that when he was telling me about the book he was reading, I wasn't really listening, and he was making many audible noises.  Then, when I started to really engage with him, it stopped! 

Angela_O
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM

tourettes... My oldest son has it, teach your son to focus on the "tic" and he can learn to control it, it will take him a bit of practice, but it can be done. If you met my son, you wouldn't have any clue he has it...

My son's main tic is sniffling, I hate it but it is what it is..lol he does pick up new tics here and there, but he learns to control them quickly so they go away. We found out when he was probably 10 or 11 and he is now 18. We did not do any medication methods and his neurologist recommended against any =)

Good luck!

btw, I guess I should add his started off noticeably with shaking his head no constantly then his hands started shaking. Thank goodness those both stop. He does state he can feel when a tic is coming on. We also learned his anger issues were part of his tourettes, when we found out what was wrong, his anger dissipated quite a bit too!

RealWorldSchool
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:21 PM

You might want to take a look at natural flower essences. I know they are available for a number of things...don't know if Tourettes is one.,..but check out their website below. =)

http://bachflowersusa.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN