Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

HELP MY SON HATES TO WRITE

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM
  • 10 Replies

My ds hates to write anything. He is very smart and is reading at a high school level (he is 10 yrs). But I can not get him to write about anything.  When he has to write for school like journals, reports he gets very fustrated will not do a very good job. I know he can write well he did do one report on WWII and it was excellent. Any ideas would be appreciated. 

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:35 PM

If you are wanting him to write reports & papers let him use the computer & type them out!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I agree with usmom3. Make a deal. Everyday he writes one journal by hand. Everything else let him do orally or by typing.

Quoting usmom3:

If you are wanting him to write reports & papers let him use the computer & type them out!

ablessedlife
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
If coming up with ideas is the problem, then a course like Excellence in Writing might help. It provides all the ideas, the student just takes notes from the text and re-writes it himself to practice writing.
If he'd prefer to write about his own ideas, then keep digging to find a topic that interests him.
littleacorn
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Agreed

Quoting usmom3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EDDES
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:05 AM

What does he like to read????? Let him tell you or simply sum up his likes and dislikes about what he read first. And what he thought were the highlights of the story, comic book or even a movie and then tell him to write everything down, in his own words, piece by piece, at first.

This then, will be very telling of what he likes and dislikes about a story and about writing about it. He can gradually put together a composition by starting to share his thoughts verbally first and then on paper, second.

You just want to start kind of small and gradual, by him, telling first, and then writing down the thoughts, impressions, certain topics, emotions that were felt during the story, quotes from the story, surps from the story, certain sayings, certain pieces that helped him understand the story and remain interested in the story. 

I am thinking a verbal communication before an actual written communication. 

The thing is that I have noticed, with writing anything, revisions, proofreading repetition of editing and changing words, in a composition or an essay is always boring and time consuming.

So alot of people hate revisions but that helps get it right and proofreading is very important also so that it is correctly put together before the final product is read by the reader.writingreadingtyping

oredeb
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM

its not that he cant do it? but he doenst want to? does he know how to form sentences clearly?

if so let him type! but he still needs to keep up the handwriting practise

and if he cant form thoughts clearly, dictate to him , have him write what you read to him, keep it short and add more as you go along and hes catching on, then after hes done that for a bit, start him on writing a couple sentences in a notebook, and progress on as he progresses

melissaoliver79
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM

my son is the same and hes 9... he love to type because he said its not writing..lol go figure... I also got him a pen pal ( snail mail)  and got post cards.. I am also going to let him get his own email adress soon and hopefully we can find some kid groups where he can blog and stuff...

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I think a combination of usmom3 and EDDES is a good idea and then like others are saying, let him type. My two oldest boys(15, 13) hate to write and say typing isn't writing either. lol   You should have him write on a subject he loves most, even if its comic books.  

SusanTheWriter
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Or have him write and illustrate a comic book. Write a poem, a play, a short story. Have him write an imaginary letter to Ben Franklin or Thomas Edison about science. Have him write to Thomas Jefferson or Teddy Roosevelt about history from the POV of a child in that time.

Writing endless essays and book reports really does get boring, but playing with other forms can help inspire his imagination as well as his writing skills.

wolvesfire
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Why not get him a pen pal? Then he has something to look forward to say once a week to once a month and it will help him improve his writing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)