Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Soiled 6-Year-Old Proves We Accept Humiliation of Children

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM
  • 24 Replies

Soiled 6-Year-Old Proves We Accept Humiliation of Children

Yahoo! Contributor Network By J Budd, RN |

COMMENTARY | According to MSNBC, a 6-year-old girl at Southwest Elementary School in Washburn, Mo., was denied a bathroom break because she and her classmates were in the middle of taking a state standardized test. As a result, the poor kid soiled herself in diarrhea. Teachers did not try to clean her up. Instead, they gave her mother a trash bag to wrap around her child and take her home in. How would you feel if you were soiled in diarrhea and covered in a trash bag by the adults who are supposed to be caring for you? My guess is you would feel humiliated. And to think this is not the first time a story like this has been in the news. Why would any adult feel this is an acceptable way to treat a child? Is this an acceptable way to treat any human being? First off, the poor kid had to go to the bathroom. Was this test so important the teacher could not allow her to visit the toilet? The teacher claims she asked students to go to the bathroom before the exam. But even I have had times I did not need to use a restroom until after a more convenient opportunity passed. And I'm a 41-year-old woman. Now let's apply this concept to bathroom breaks. How would you react if you heard about a company that denied its employees bathroom breaks when they needed them? You'd be screaming about human rights abuses. Is a teacher doing the same thing with a child any different? Some folks, somehow, get it into their heads it's OK to use shame and humiliation with children. So they end up doing things to kids they would never do to adults. A recent story on Huffington Post shows public humiliation as a form of child discipline is becoming more common. Children do not have the same rights as adults in America. But for Pete's sake, don't let it apply to using a toilet. That's humiliating.

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
WOW! Thats wow! Where's the rest of the article of how the parents are suing the teacher and school? Cuz I would be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Poor kid!

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Children should have the same rights, they are Americans too after all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Is it any wonder there are so many home scooling families ?   This is so insane! 

Jeremmy
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I just heard of a school (elementary) that issues 3 bathroom passes a week for its students.

Granted, its a little annoying when you remind a child to go to the bathroom before a test and than they have to go again soon after....but if it was diarreah, that poor child was probably sick. You cant hold that in indefinitely! And than when it did happen...they should have been apologetic and scrambling to make it better....and instead they are wrapping her in a trash bag until she can go home....so sick.

charliebean
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Oh wow... That poor girl. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy.etc.
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM
This is why I homeschooling! It sickens me that that happened to that poor little girl. I wonder what the parents are doing about this. When I was in kindergarten I had terrible bladder issues and had to go pee, but I couldn't go because it was during storytime and I had to sit at school in my soiled clothes for an hour after it happened, because my teacher wouldn't let me call my mom and I had to ride the bus home in peed in clothes, and that was an hours ride. I feel so sorry for that little girl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM

To be honest, I'm not surprised. When I was in elementary school (I'm 25), we could only go to the bathroom on recess breaks. If we had to go during class time, we lost our next recess. So everyday, I ran home from the bus straight to the bathroom because I'd been holding it so long - it took every bit of control to not pee my pants on the ride home. 

My mom complained, stating that making us hold it could cause bladder infections, but the school said they had to do it so kids didn't abuse bathroom priveleges.

lovepotato
by Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:56 PM

When I was in 1st grade I peed my pants. It was so embarrassing. It was during a test too and the teacher wouldn't let me go.

And a couple months ago, my nephew was peed ON by another kid at school. In the face. He goes to a school for hearing impaired, and they get kids with other problems too. My sister thinks the other boy has some other things going on. Anyway, the teacher didn't call home so my sister could bring in clothes. The other parent called my sister's ex and apologized. My sister went to the school to talk to the principal and he called the teacher down. She claims she "forgot." The principal and school board did nothing about it. They used it as a 'teaching moment" or something.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I would blow my top! Not that the other boy did it, since his mom took the responsibility, but because I wasn't informed. Is that so common place that you can forget someone getting urine in the face?

Quoting lovepotato:

When I was in 1st grade I peed my pants. It was so embarrassing. It was during a test too and the teacher wouldn't let me go.

And a couple months ago, my nephew was peed ON by another kid at school. In the face. He goes to a school for hearing impaired, and they get kids with other problems too. My sister thinks the other boy has some other things going on. Anyway, the teacher didn't call home so my sister could bring in clothes. The other parent called my sister's ex and apologized. My sister went to the school to talk to the principal and he called the teacher down. She claims she "forgot." The principal and school board did nothing about it. They used it as a 'teaching moment" or something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN