Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Soiled 6-Year-Old Proves We Accept Humiliation of Children

Posted by   + Show Post

Soiled 6-Year-Old Proves We Accept Humiliation of Children

Yahoo! Contributor Network By J Budd, RN |

COMMENTARY | According to MSNBC, a 6-year-old girl at Southwest Elementary School in Washburn, Mo., was denied a bathroom break because she and her classmates were in the middle of taking a state standardized test. As a result, the poor kid soiled herself in diarrhea. Teachers did not try to clean her up. Instead, they gave her mother a trash bag to wrap around her child and take her home in. How would you feel if you were soiled in diarrhea and covered in a trash bag by the adults who are supposed to be caring for you? My guess is you would feel humiliated. And to think this is not the first time a story like this has been in the news. Why would any adult feel this is an acceptable way to treat a child? Is this an acceptable way to treat any human being? First off, the poor kid had to go to the bathroom. Was this test so important the teacher could not allow her to visit the toilet? The teacher claims she asked students to go to the bathroom before the exam. But even I have had times I did not need to use a restroom until after a more convenient opportunity passed. And I'm a 41-year-old woman. Now let's apply this concept to bathroom breaks. How would you react if you heard about a company that denied its employees bathroom breaks when they needed them? You'd be screaming about human rights abuses. Is a teacher doing the same thing with a child any different? Some folks, somehow, get it into their heads it's OK to use shame and humiliation with children. So they end up doing things to kids they would never do to adults. A recent story on Huffington Post shows public humiliation as a form of child discipline is becoming more common. Children do not have the same rights as adults in America. But for Pete's sake, don't let it apply to using a toilet. That's humiliating.

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Replies (21-24):
Jenn8604
by Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:48 PM
it causes problems worse then just the occasional bladder infection.holding pee causes cystitis (sp) which is swelling between the cells of ur bladder.you know all those commercials about medicine for bladder problems? they are all the result of children being made to wait to go to the bathroom and their now adult bladders cant controlthemselves any more.

Quoting sreichelt26:

To be honest, I'm not surprised. When I was in elementary school (I'm 25), we could only go to the bathroom on recess breaks. If we had to go during class time, we lost our next recess. So everyday, I ran home from the bus straight to the bathroom because I'd been holding it so long - it took every bit of control to not pee my pants on the ride home. 

My mom complained, stating that making us hold it could cause bladder infections, but the school said they had to do it so kids didn't abuse bathroom priveleges.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I would sue the everloving SNOT out of that school and the teacher!!!  Just another reason for me to dislike standardized tests and public school.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

tvshow
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:17 AM

This  has NOTHING to do with being American it has to do with being a HUMAN BEING. I hope that you did NOT miss this point. So it would be ok if she were Dutch? NO Its not OK to do this to anyone ANYWHERE. 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I think the author was just pointing out that while children aren't afforded all the rights of adults IN the USA, not that BECAUSE they were American, this was unacceptable.

Quoting tvshow:

This  has NOTHING to do with being American it has to do with being a HUMAN BEING. I hope that you did NOT miss this point. So it would be ok if she were Dutch? NO Its not OK to do this to anyone ANYWHERE. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)