Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Vegan or Not?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:41 PM
  • 38 Replies

New Vegan Book for Kids Brings Out the Haters

Posted by April Peveteaux

vegan book for kidsOh, vegans. I do admire you so and honestly wish I could do what you're doing. So much so that on occasion, I give it a shot. Admittedly, I just polished off a breakfast of bacon and eggs, but I do have much love for you and your kind. Except for the judge-y ones. You people can suck it.

Which is how most of you guys are going to feel about Ruby Roth's upcoming children's book, Vegan Is Love, I just know it. And Ms. Roth does herself no favors in this TODAY show interview where she comes off as just a wee bit sanctimonious.

I take no issue with the statements made in Vegan Is Love. I don't think we can argue the fact that animals do, in fact, die when they are prepped for our dinner table. And any death that is not natural and at the hands of a weapon is surely violent. I don't even think some kids will blink an eye at this information. After all, it's much more difficult to explain the opposite to a child -- that we kill and eat animals by choice.

So how come this book is bugging me and will surely bug many of you?

It could be my own waffling on the issue and therefore guilt seeping in that I enjoy burgers against my better judgment. But it's also that this book feels condescending to parents making different choices than the author. And we don't need any more of that. So the best thing to do is to leave this book to the vegan families and ignore those cute animals staring out at us from the book shelves.

Who am I kidding? This thing is going to sell a million copies, mostly to people who want to use it to light up their grill.

What do you think about teaching kids to be vegans?

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I don't and wouldn't. Our bodies need the proteins and minerals from animals in order to properly function. So do our brains for that matter.   

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe we are supposed to be omnivorous.

Enelrahcs
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Vegetarian here. I don't like it when people are condescending about it though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM

we eat meat here but love vegetables!!! so i teach them just the normal stuff about food, no special diets  or type of eating

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I am not vegan or vegetarian. I've done enough research to believe that isn't the way to be the healthiest you. As far as the book, what else but "I'm better than you" can you expect? Everyone thinks their decision is better than everyone else's. Lol! In my personal experience, I have yet to meet a vegan who is healthier than me and *looks* healthy as well. Around here, they are sickly looking. At least those I have met and know are vegans. I'm not judging, just observing and adding it to the "list of reasons not to be a vegan".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

there is nothing wrong w/ this bk.  Vegans will read it to their kids.  Same way as I read bks about homebirth and breastfeeding to my kids.  Now if only I could find picture bks about homeschooling, I would share those w/ my kids.  It's a specalty bk to a certain people, it's not being shoved down anyone's throat.  I don't plan to read this bk to my kids because we are not vegan, no big deal.  Everything in this world does not need to be PC and made for the mainstream type person.

Lynette
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

oh and one more thing to add.  I know plenty of healthy vegans.  Sure it takes work to research and make any diet a healthy one.  I don't understand why the replies on this post is vegan criticism. 

As homeschoolers we love a good blog or bk about homeschooling.  So how would we feel if a homeschool blog was filled w/ anti comments? 

oredeb
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM

sorry lynette, but i dont mean to be making anti comments , didnt even realise i was! i will remove my post

Quoting Lynette:

oh and one more thing to add.  I know plenty of healthy vegans.  Sure it takes work to research and make any diet a healthy one.  I don't understand why the replies on this post is vegan criticism. 

As homeschoolers we love a good blog or bk about homeschooling.  So how would we feel if a homeschool blog was filled w/ anti comments? 

Lynette
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:35 AM

your reply about eating meat and veggies is fine!  It's the way you eat, I eat meat and veggies too.  It's replies that say being vegan is inherently unhealthy, wrong, etc that is anti.

Quoting oredeb:

sorry lynette, but i dont mean to be making anti comments , didnt even realise i was! i will remove my post

Quoting Lynette:

kokyuhomama
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM

A vegan diet, which includes fish, are incredibly healthy!  I would never judge anyone negatively for choosing that path.  I try to eat mostly vegan in our household because of its incredible health benefits, but we do enjoy dairy, too. Personally, I have found that it's great to expose our kids to a variety of foods, all philosophies aside, because I want my children to be open to eating a variety of foods so that they can adapt to the diets of other families and / or countries. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)