Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

getting behind

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:08 AM
  • 9 Replies

OK so I know many of you dont even make yourself aware of grade levels ect (no biggie) and others dont test. BUT we just started spelling test in Dec. I have found we are VERY behind in spelling. It bothers me. Our book is 36 weeks she wont be ready for the next grade until Nov. and that is doing it all summer (which I plan on anyways). We are kinda ahead in Math. In the way when we start a new topic we go further than needed since she is so good at it. She is right on target in reading. And science and social studies Im pretty sure that are no real standards in early grades as long as they are learning how to use tools and questions.

ALSO among homeschoolers, its usually a 'thing' to be ahead. I cant stress over that have 1 child with special needs..but still    How do you all feel? Deal? ect when you realize a child is behind. She is doing well with the new curriculum for spelling but our first try in early fall put her behind when it didnt work out. <<vent over>>

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

please dont fall into the trap that says you must keep up with all the other homeschoolers, you will get burn out fast! and kids will stop enjoying hsing and so will you.  dont let anyone make you feel that way, (i know you know this!)

it doenst bother me if my child is behind, they have how many years to catch up?? my kids were always at different levels in all the subjects, thoughout all the hsing years, some were behind, some werent, but by the end of hsing, they were right were they needed to be, they took the GED, passed with no problems

kids have favorite subjects, and subjects they hate!hahahah just llike us!

wright1212
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I guess as a homeschooler we like to blame ourselves (me blaming me, not trying to speak for all). BUT you know a public school teacher doesnt blame herself if 1 student is doing a C or D. I do as a college professor, but I have to tell myself I tried my best. Same here, switching curriculum was the best thing we could do, and only looking at it and not that its April we are doing good!

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM

All my kids are "behind" other kids their ages not because we aren't learning but because we learn what they want to learn & not what some book says to learn!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM
I am the same, always wondering where we are in relation to others. It's really hard to judge though, because everyone teaches different stuff in different grades, kwim? For example, in our spelling, we had x amount of words, and they were way different than the "words your child should know for first grade" list. Then history, some people do ancients first, some do American history, etc. science I have found varies greatly, also. And math! Sheesh! The curriculums differ SO much that I thought we were super behind, but it turned out we were doing a mix of topics all at once while other curric were focusing on one thing at a time. So they were done with, say, time before us, but we were doing things with time, money, addition, subtraction, etc all at once.

I am trying not to worry. It's HARD! But like Debbie said, they have so much time to catch up. And in some subjects they may be so ahead you could back off it and focus on those they are "behind" in. Kwim?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I have 1 spec needs (Aspergers) child and 1 neuro-typical child. First I have realized that whether a kid is spec needs or not, all kids have subjects that are their strengths and weeknesses. We plan on HS'ing until college, so I couldn't care less if they fit into the PS box of grade expectations.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM

It would bother me as well.

Is there a reason they are behind? By reason I mean cognitive or learning delay. If there is, remediate and use a special program (for our dyslexic daughter we use Apples and Pears); if there is no reason other than not using the curriculum on target, ramp it up and double up.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

kokyuhomama
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM

We made the choice to not be "ahead".  We were eclectic hs's, with an emphasis on child led  learning, but we had a few core programs put in place just in case we needed to rely on ps - one never knows what will happen in life to mess everything up!  LOL  Any program we chose we made sure to not go ahead in, unless he showed an interest in moving ahead.  This allowed our son to have lots of extra time on his hands to do other things.  We never used a curriculum for spelling, with the exception of Explode the Code. Instead, we gauged his spelling program around what interested him.  He would learn a new word a day based on what he was interested in, and he would  have to use the word in a sentence.  He learned so much that way.  However, when we did choose to put our older in ps at one point, he was way ahead in sight words, but still struggling in comprehension.   My recommendation is to slow down the stuff she's ahead in and spend extra time on vocab, just to ease your comfort level.  Also, there's no harm in doing some stuff during summertime.  If spelling is more difficult for her, then maybe learning words in smaller chunks and spreading them out throughout the year would work out well for her.  I hope this makes sense.

ablessedlife
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Don't worry too much about the spelling. Just keep on working on it and at some point she may take huge steps forward. Suddenly you will find that she is all caught up. My eldest is behind in grammar, but he will get caught up next year, no problem. I would only be worried if he were behind in every subject.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:43 PM

What "grade" and what age is your child?  Sometimes things will click with the phonics stuff and the child will make leaps and bounds!  Don't sweat the small stuff, if you're ahead in other stuff, it'll get easier soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)