Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sorry need to vent

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:15 PM
  • 29 Replies

Took my kiddos to the PUBLIC library today to get their library cards. I have been trying to get there for a couple of monthes now. Anyway I ask the childrens librairan about getting their cards and the first thing she ask was what school they are in. I told her we homeschooled and what school district they were in. So after sitting in the dang library for an hour they still couldn't tell us if by the rules they have if my kids were allowed to have a card. I can get one for $35, but cannot check out any childrens books and they could get one for a dollar if they were in a public school. We pay the same taxes as everyone else on the library and public school.  I felt so horrible when we left without any books. They were looking forward to picking some out. Soooo they tell me to come back tomorrow and they MIGHT have an answer for me. Has anyone else had these kinds of problems???? What would you do?

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanTheWriter
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

If you live in the county or catchment area of the library, you get a library card at no cost. Period.

If you live outside the county, then you may have to pay to get a card, but getting a library card has absolutely nothing to do with where your kids go to school.

5BMom
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:16 PM
We have to pay to use the Hailey Library because we are not in city limits, even though our address is Hailey. However, school kids get cards for free with school ID. I have,never asked about homeschoolers. We can use a library 15 miles away for free, because it is privately funded.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM
How interesting. Our public library has no charge for library cards if you are a resident of this county. When we got carda for my nieces and nephew they didn't even ask what school they attended.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM

This sounds so crazy !!! I have never lived any where but Vegas. Where do you all live?

Moma3boyz
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Orange county IN. our library switched to evergreen which is a network of libraries. Before that it didn't matter. Now they have new rules and by laws they said. I livre out of the township do I knew I would have to pay for mine. They say that the kids are only a dollar if they are out of the township if they attend the local school. Who would have thought that by saying we homeschool they wouldn't let us take the books from the library.

Quoting bugayfamilyof4:

This sounds so crazy !!! I have never lived any where but Vegas. Where do you all live?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM

That's insane! I've never heard of that before! In all the places I've lived as long as you live in county & have proof of residence then you get a free card. The kids automatically got free cards with no mention of where they went to school. (although they WERE in ps at the time but no one asked)

kokyuhomama
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:25 PM

That is so weird!  Usually there is a one time or annual fee for out of town residents for many public libraries, but I've never heard of what you had to deal with until now.  All I would do is try to talk to the library director if you haven't already done so. 

Moma3boyz
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:45 PM
I did. They told me it is up to a board of directors 2 hours away. The one lady there told me she would have just given us acard if it was up to her. Out was just really hard to explain to the kids why they couldn't get books when the other kids could.

Quoting kokyuhomama:

That is so weird!  Usually there is a one time or annual fee for out of town residents for many public libraries, but I've never heard of what you had to deal with until now.  All I would do is try to talk to the library director if you haven't already done so. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kittyfaery
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM
I find it strange that you aren't able to check out children's books on your card. I go to a library in a different city and they only charge people who live in the cities that charge non residents for a card. The only rule for getting a kids card is they have to be able to sign their name on it. And I can check out books for my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
badgermom2012
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds illegal.  The public library is free to all residents.  That's BS and discrimination.  Go over the desk person's head.  Find out who is in charge and give them a call.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN