Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Took my kiddos to the PUBLIC library today to get their library cards. I have been trying to get there for a couple of monthes now. Anyway I ask the childrens librairan about getting their cards and the first thing she ask was what school they are in. I told her we homeschooled and what school district they were in. So after sitting in the dang library for an hour they still couldn't tell us if by the rules they have if my kids were allowed to have a card. I can get one for $35, but cannot check out any childrens books and they could get one for a dollar if they were in a public school. We pay the same taxes as everyone else on the library and public school.  I felt so horrible when we left without any books. They were looking forward to picking some out. Soooo they tell me to come back tomorrow and they MIGHT have an answer for me. Has anyone else had these kinds of problems???? What would you do?

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Replies (21-29):
katzmeow726
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM

What!  My kids have their own library cards and they are just now turning 3...you don't have to be in school to have one.  At least not here.  Public libraries have NOTHING to do with what school a child attends.

Moma3boyz
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Awesome. I will have to check that out. I thought I had to have a kindle to use them. Lol

Quoting KickButtMama:

3 words - amazon kindle evooks, you can get them for cheaper than that, many are even free. You don't need a kindle, you can use a computer, tablet, etc. just go to amazon and download eir kindle for PC or whatever, then search for the ebooks. They even have ebooks to borrow like the library if you are a Prime member.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Quoting Moma3boyz:

*eBOOKS (helps if i spell it right..lol)
penguingirl
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM

At our library as long as you can show proof you live the city you can get a card. In fact, my daughter gets to keep her books for six weeks because she is homeschooled and they do special programs twice a month for homeschooled kids. You should definitely talk to the library director and get everything straightened out.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:13 AM

that is crazy. the library we use the card is free you only have to pay if you lose it & need a new one but it is still only like$5.

MrsHubler
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:55 AM
Hello! I am in Indiana also. Our library Is also on the evergreen system. I decided to ask our librarian about this when I went in yesterday. She says that they cannot charge you for the card unless you are getting a replacement. Also, you are allowed to check books out for your children. It does not matter if they are homeschooled or not. The evergreen system is put into place so that you can go to any library on that system and get books from that library. So whoever told you that you can't needs to be taught how to give library cards.
charliebean
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:05 AM
How stupid. That doesn't sound very PUBLIC to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wolvesfire
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:18 AM

I agree with badger that sounds illegal.  I got a library card at 13 and they never asked me what school I went to.  This was in Newark, OH. I would go over the desk person's head.  Library is a public place and is free to all residents.

Moma3boyz
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Quoting MrsHubler:

Hello! I am in Indiana also. Our library Is also on the evergreen system. I decided to ask our librarian about this when I went in yesterday. She says that they cannot charge you for the card unless you are getting a replacement. Also, you are allowed to check books out for your children. It does not matter if they are homeschooled or not. The evergreen system is put into place so that you can go to any library on that system and get books from that library. So whoever told you that you can't needs to be taught how to give library cards.

I am calling them today to see what they say. I had a funural to attend yesterday and never made it in. I am hoping that they got it all worked out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)