Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Math Woes!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM
  • 7 Replies
DS (age 4.75) was going along swimmingly in CLP Liberty Math K until recently. He is bored out of his mind and is getting whiny over math. He is up to addition and subtraction in to the 4 family. Its a mastery approach that drills and drills and drills some mord. Math is becoming a fight. We will be starting Oak Meadow 1 in august (maybe sooner) and I have Life of Fred here (apples, butterflys, and cat) and I am thinking of ditching the CLP and using LOF as a filler. I don't know if we can take 20 more weeks of repetitive math that causes havoc in the restvof the school day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kokyuhomama
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:41 PM

The only thing that comes to mind is playing some simple math games, some that you can come up with, or look online for table game ideas.  If your child doesn't require "hands on" for math, maybe he'd enjoy Singapore Math.  My first child thrived with that program.  When he was nearing the end of the second grade level (the same year he would have been in second grade in the school)  he tested at a sixth grade math level!  Your son might enjoy that, or Miquon Math I've heard is a great supplement to any program.

ablessedlife
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this
At that age I don't even use a curriculum. We play games, we use the hundred chart every day, we estimate with pebbles, paperclips,etc., we measure with those things too, and we just have fun. My son turned 6 two weeks ago and I am just starting to use flash cards. Mostly we do stuff on the floor. If any writing is required, I do the writing for him.
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:41 AM

children have a natural desire to learn. If they aren't wanting to learn, there is a reason.  It sounds like the curriculum is not designed for his learning style. When I hear you say. "drills, and drills, and drills some more.  I am thinking you are not liking that either.

• The new math often frustrates children, because it does not really teach math,.  If this is the case then I recommend Math U See
  • If he is just tired of the drilling, than perhaps you can skip some of the lessons, and replace it with some games, and real life experiences.  Example: a trip to the store can become a lesson in price comparisons (subtraction and addition). weights, and measurements.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:22 AM
I would shoot myself in the foot to get out of math drills, and i love math! Plus at his age he really needs something he can manipulate w/ his hands, or something visually stimulating. I recommend IXL.com or time4learning.com both are very visually stimulating (time 4learning is more rounded though) and doing it on the computer makes it seems like a game vs. lessons.

My kids also LOVE our math apps on the ipad - Splash Math, Khan Academy, etc.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I would definately put it to the side for a while.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM
If he knows it, skip the drills and move on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM

We use LOF and I think it's one of the greatest things I have ever seen. LOL I hate math almost as much as ds but we both enjoy LOF.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)