Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Did you choose to home school your kid(s) before or after trying public school?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:33 PM
  • 34 Replies

I have a daughter that will be 3 in September. We are moving to an area that we are not super thrilled about the public schools, but there is also a charter school there. My husband went to a charter school and I was home schooled off and on. Our daughter is extremely social and mature for her age. We are still debating on what we want to do, but I just thought I would get some opinions. I do not know any other mothers or parents that do home schooling. Thanks for any input! 

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM

We decided after.  Part of me wishes we had just started right out.  Part of me is glad we had the experience beacuse now we know just what we would face from the brick and mortar in the area.  It keeps me going on those bad days, knowing that we have no other choice, the school is awful!

Moma3boyz
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:40 PM
They unfortunately went to public school first. They learned to have a horrible attitude and that learning was boring and lots of hard work. Had a ton of stuff to unlearn before we could begin learning if you know what I mean.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletPlacebo
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Before. My daughter just turned 5 on Friday and hasn't technically started school yet. My husband and I were both public schooled and wished we were homeschooled. While the schools in our areas aren't bad as public schools go, we'd much rather know exactly where our daughter is and what she is learning 100% of the time then wonder what's going on in her life and depend on someone else to teach her and spend the majority of the day with her. Check out your local library and yahoo groups to meet local homeschooling parents. 

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:44 PM
I decided before. My daughter will be 4 in August. But I knew since before she was born that I would homeschool. Public schools (at least in my area) are going downhill fast. I know a lot of parents who started out in public school say they wish they would have homeschooled from the start
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM

We decided long before we even thought about getting pg that we would homeschool.

oredeb
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:53 PM

hi mama2! its nice to meet you!!

my kids have never been to a public school before, so we never tried it

GoddessAnna
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:05 PM
I had wanted to homeschool for two years before being able to do so. My daughter has been in public schools for 4 years at this point - we start homeschooling in the fall. It's not that our schools are bad, but they're not a good fit for my boys anymore (who will go to private school), and after a year of the school ignoring a bullying problem, and my daughter being bored with the work, it's not a good fit for her any more either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christine0813
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:21 PM

After private school.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM
After a bad experience in public k.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Strega
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:37 PM

After 3 years of Public School for our Daughter (Kindergarten through 2nd Grade). Started Homeschooling her and our Son (Kindergarten) this year, and we're so glad we did.

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN