Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Did you choose to home school your kid(s) before or after trying public school?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a daughter that will be 3 in September. We are moving to an area that we are not super thrilled about the public schools, but there is also a charter school there. My husband went to a charter school and I was home schooled off and on. Our daughter is extremely social and mature for her age. We are still debating on what we want to do, but I just thought I would get some opinions. I do not know any other mothers or parents that do home schooling. Thanks for any input! 

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Replies (31-34):
MrsSexyCurtains
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for all the info!  dd is an only child as well and we have decided to start ttc.  I just finished my schooling and i'm not sure if I want to work or continue to be a sahm.  If I sah then I really want to see about hs dd.  The schools here where I live are a complete joke and she gets bored after she does her school work so she starts talking and gets in trouble.

I really think this might be good for her.  I will check that out now :)

Quoting Jeremmy:

You should google home school groups in your area. They can tell you a lot more about the area you live in! There are also tons of places to buy curriculum. I use sonlight if you want to check them out. What I did in the beginning was ask for a bunch of free catalogues from different companies and perused those and their web sites. If you are extra motivated, you can even create your own curriculum! I took out a bunch of books from the library and they helped me learn more about setting up curriculums (even though I didnt go that way in the end) and learning about what style of teaching I was most comfortable with. I got pregnant when my son was 5, so he was an only child for awhile too. Its definitely a different ball game!

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

I've never thought about hs until cafemom came along. I really want to research hs and see if it's a good fit for us. Dd will be in first grade next year but its like she tunes out when I try to teach her anything. She's an only child so I want her to be around other kids. Where can I go to buy the hs material and where do most hs meet up for activities? Thanks in advance :)

TeaHound
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I went to many public schools (6 all in one state) and therefore knew that all public schools are not equal.  I tried to get my oldest into a public school before we moved, but we moved suddenly before the school year started.  We moved back to where I was raised, so we sent her to the private school I had attended in high school.  It had changed and we took her out and started homeschooling all our kids (all the ones we had at the time).

As for an extremely social child.  I also have a social butterfly (organized a pool party at the apartment property where we lived at the time) and she does miss school (for many reasons).  But (unless you move to ??? the middle of Nowhere) surely you can find a YMCA or Mommy-and-Me group, etc.  Going for walks and playgrounds, etc are great ways to meet other people with kids her age!

All the best to you with the move and your dd's schooling. :-)

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:10 AM

My kids have never been to school.  

mama2ava2mia
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Thank you for sharing everyone! I am for sure going to start researching even more with the hubby and see what we think. We are anti daycare and preschool so I feel like home school would make since =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)